Canti brakes help

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
A couple of questions.
Can anyone point me to a link on how to adjest canti brakes ?
Can anyone recomend a decent hardwearing brake pad for 72 mm cantis ?
new to this bike lark so please go easy on me
regards
ILG

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    Try this article from Sheldon Brown. I used Swisstop Green when I had cantilever brakes, they were alright in the wet so long as the rim was clean.
  • Very good article , many thanks for the link.
    I fitted a set of these two weeks ago http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod35458, rode approx 250 miles and the rear set are about done.
    I know they are only cheap but you must be able to get more wear than that ?
    My main use is commuting with a bit of riding on track paths etc.
    The green swiss stops run at around £15 per two pairs how many miles would you expect from them ?
    Always appreciate the answeres and advise.
    regards
    ILG
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    I think I did over 2000 miles with mine. It does depend quite a lot on riding style, conditions and lots of other variables.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got some Kool stops on my Tricross - 1700 miles so far .. but as said - it depends on your riding style, riding location and loads of other variables ...
    Most of the miles I've ridden on it have been on a commute - I don't brake often as they are country roads, I'm not in a rush, there is little traffic - virtually none that will stop me and I know the roads well so I don't speed up before a sharp corner ...
  • I must admit my route is very rural (mud on road , grit etc) very hilly and I do ride fairly hard and brake hard.
    It would apaer though, a better quaility pad should prove safer and more cost effective.
    ILG