2x direct mount/ e type front mech on Spesh Camber

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Doing a bit of research on changing my old triple mech for a double but I can't work out whether I need a direct mount or e type? The original bike specs are here but I've recently worked on the front mech and it does not have the bb fitting that e type mechs have. I'm confused :?

Currently running a 22t and 36t + bash at the front x 9 at the back 11-32t I think.

Also with a double front mech could I get away with using my old triple shifter?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You would most likely get away with both the shifter and mech.

But how is the mech attached to the frame?

E type can have the mounting plate removed to bolt direct. But as there are a few different direct mount types .......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You could fit a direct mount SRAM front mech - X7 or X9.

X7 was fitted to the Camber Pro, so you know it will fit ok.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nicklouse wrote:
    You would most likely get away with both the shifter and mech.

But how is the mech attached to the frame?

E type can have the mounting plate removed to bolt direct. But as there are a few different direct mount types .......

The reason I want to change it Nick is because I keep dropping chain at the front, I presume that 1 of the reasons for this is that it's set higher up than needed obviously for the third ring that I've taken off.

The only image I can find that shows the fitting is this, sorry it's not the best my bike is tucked up in bed now, but it shows the position of the 2 screws from the mech.
  • JBA wrote:
    You could fit a direct mount SRAM front mech - X7 or X9.

X7 was fitted to the Camber Pro, so you know it will fit ok.

Nice work :) So from looking for this I think I have worked out that it is a "low direct mount" which by the looks of things shimano don't do :? ah well sram 2x front mech with shimano 3x shifter is going to make for an interesting pairing :lol:
  • Sram do several low direct mechs. As they don't adjust you have to get the right one . Firstly need to match front big ring then there are 3 types of mech depending on width and spacing of the mounting bolts. Finally you will need top or bottom pull . ( I have just ordered a 42 type 2 top pull for my bike )
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    This was fitted to the 2011 Camber Pro:

SRAM X.7 10-speed, S3 direct mount for DMD, bottom pull.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Fark it I'm gonna use this as an excuse to go 1 x 9 and ditch the front mech all together :lol: I can't be bothered with ordering the wrong one, plus I'd need a new shifter and gear cable which would mean I replace the rear cable as well due to OCR (Obsessive–compulsive replacement) which would mean I swap my white housings for black so yeah thanks for al your help people you have convinced me 1 x 9 is the way forward lol never use the bloody granny ring anyway :roll: :lol: