Wanted - Route Mapping suggestion - with a twist...

FingersKFF
FingersKFF Posts: 26
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I'm looking for a bit of help finding the right piece of route mapping software. I've tried a few but none of them really do what I want and I'm beginning to think that I'm searching for the wrong things.

From my doorstep I have a fairly busy network of alternative routes radiating out. When I plan a ride I use a single map and plan one section at a time rather than always repeating the same set routes, I try to make every ride different.

Essentially I want a piece of software to use on my PC that I can plot one large multi-routed map centred on my house with 3 (or more) different coloured trail types. On the map I want to have all of the trails and roads that I ride marked up at the same time but I want to be able to grade them into something like red = road, green = year-round trail, blue = summer-only trail for example. I can then use this map to easily put a different route together before each ride.

The closest I have found is Memory-Map which lets me plot two different colours but it's messy and awkward when trying to plot new trail sections. Everything else seems to only want to plot a single A to B route or doesn't allow for multiple colours. Here's s picture to hopefully show what I mean:

Capture_zpse8d835d1.png

Maybe I'm asking for something that doesn't exist but I'm hoping someone else does the same thing and has found the solution that I can't!

Cheers

Comments

• Mapmyride?

Not sure if that does what you want or not TBH, but you can always explore it and enlighten us! :)
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Buy an OS map and some felt tip pens
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    Buy an OS map and some felt tip pens
    That's an option, but I can never stay inside the lines :oops:
  • Who moved my post here? Not sure this really counts as asking for advice on buying MTB stuff...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Presumably you would be buying the software.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You can do all of that with the view ranger app. You can create the maps and colour code them on the website then access them via the app on your phone.
  • Cool, I'll have a look at that one. Off hand do you know if you can plot a bunch of non-joined routes? That's the bit that I've struggled with most. Almost all of the web-based stuff only lets you plot a route from A to B but won't let you then start another route that doesn't continue from point B.
  • FingersKFF wrote:
    Cool, I'll have a look at that one. Off hand do you know if you can plot a bunch of non-joined routes? That's the bit that I've struggled with most. Almost all of the web-based stuff only lets you plot a route from A to B but won't let you then start another route that doesn't continue from point B.

Garmins very own basecamp allows all you ask and more.

12621318163_a175b041c8_c.jpg
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My Memory map lets me pick any colour for a route. Using tools on the ribbon at the top split the route into the sections you want though it could be different on yours Right click on the route then click route properties then when the properties box opens click choose your colour from the palette. You can also name the routes at the same time.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    My Memory map lets me pick any colour for a route. Using tools on the ribbon at the top split the route into the sections you want though it could be different on yours Right click on the route then click route properties then when the properties box opens click choose your colour from the palette. You can also name the routes at the same time.

A bit of a hijack but can you answer a question for me about memory map?

With basecamp i can create a route that auto follows roads. Is this possible in memory map?

I have used memory map but cannot work out if this is possible, if it is what maps are required?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    freezing77 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

A bit of a hijack but can you answer a question for me about memory map?

With basecamp i can create a route that auto follows roads. Is this possible in memory map?

I have used memory map but cannot work out if this is possible, if it is what maps are required?

I am not sure I have never seen it in the menus but there is so many options its possible I have just never noticed it. I bought the disc 2nd hand and never got round to downloading a manual I just played with it till I found out its functions.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • FingersKFF wrote:
    Cool, I'll have a look at that one. Off hand do you know if you can plot a bunch of non-joined routes? That's the bit that I've struggled with most. Almost all of the web-based stuff only lets you plot a route from A to B but won't let you then start another route that doesn't continue from point B.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can. It's been a while since I plotted a route but I've got 2 different loops through the local woods plotted in my app, both with their own colour. From memory, you plot the route, give it a colour and save it. You can then just do the same thing again starting and finishing wherever you want and then save as a different colour. Repeat ad infinitum. When you access the app and load the map, they'll all show up.

This is the website. http://my.viewranger.com
    Just register and login