Garmin mount

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Anyone here use the Garmin out front mount with the Garmin Edge 200?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    yes, got one for about £8 on ebay, works fine. Secure, no strain or fatigue on the plastic, stays in place.
  • bikeit65
    Are you sure its a Garmin branded mount, £8 sounds too cheap for a Garmin one
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    sorry no its a cheaper third party one, I didn't think the elevated cost of a garmin branded piece of plastic was worth paying extra for. £8 mount does the same job.
  • Yip, got the Garmin one and a k-edge one.

Both work perfectly fine.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • bikeit65
    Which mount puts the computer closer to the stem? do you have any photos please?
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Sprool wrote:
    yes, got one for about £8 on ebay, works fine. Secure, no strain or fatigue on the plastic, stays in place.

I got mine off ebay too for a tenner. Looks exactly like the SRAM mount, but without the logo and it works great.
  • The K Edge and Superstar Components mounts are adjustable so you can get an Edge 200/500 closer to stem.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I got a SRAM mount from ebay, It came from taiwan and so i have no idea if its fake or real but it came with sram packaging and instructions and does the job perfectly. I prefer the out front style, i dont like computers on the stem or bar or anywhere near/above them either.
  • I've got both a K-Edge and also a Barfly 2.0 and there is not much between them. Barfly seem less 'abrasive' to the rear of the Garmin and generally just feels lighter. No rattles from either of them.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The K Edge and Superstar Components mounts are adjustable so you can get an Edge 200/500 closer to stem.

Though arguably that makes no sense!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bikeit65
    Anyone any photos of the Edge 200 on the Garmin branded mount??
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    wiggle have the SRAM mounts, which work well with the 200/500, and are much cheaper than some.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Rolf F wrote:
    The K Edge and Superstar Components mounts are adjustable so you can get an Edge 200/500 closer to stem.

Why? Edge 800/810 are bigger so if designed to also fit a smaller unit there will be a bigger space between unit and stem face. Make it adjustable and the 200/500 can be brought closer to end of stem ie more flush.
  • bikeit65
    Guys thanks for your input.
    I was looking at some other guys Garmin mounts earlier at the end of the club run and some have the Barfly 2.0 and one guy had the Raceware mount, strangely no-one had the Garmin original mount i am now swayed towards the Raceware mount as it gets the computer closer to the stem and looks pretty good also.
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Why? Edge 800/810 are bigger so if designed to also fit a smaller unit there will be a bigger space between unit and stem face. Make it adjustable and the 200/500 can be brought closer to end of stem ie more flush.

Yes, but presumably the bar mounts are designed to place the computer in an ideal eye line. Since the computers mounts are positioned centrally, the optimum position should be the same irrespective of what unit you are using and therefore a smaller unit should have a gap between stem and unit. Unless of course you only bought the bar mount because you think it looks cool rather than for any functional reason. In which case, I agree that having a 200/500 closer to the stem might look better!

I'm happy with a normal stem mount!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    optimal isn't just where the numbers are, it's how it looks on the bike :wink:

Raceware are good but nowadays they are overpriced. You pay £30 for a raceware one when the Sram one is equivalent for £13. And I have both, so I know what I'm on about :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer