Lycra repairs

Mart74
Mart74 Posts: 111
edited February 2014 in Road general
A colleague had an off yesterday and damaged some newish Castelli bib tights. Does anyone know anywhere that does repairs or patches?

Cheers

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    My mother-in-law cut out a patch from the nliner within my bib tights and patched the knee of my Gore bib tights. Not exactly an invisible repair but given it was black on black it works well enough.

Tell him to get his wife/girlfriend/mother/mother-in-law onto the case.

If he hasn't got any of them with sewing capability then time to learn.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try some local seamstresses. Most will know how to work with lycra and may have access to some matching material. Just bring in the bibs and let them have a look to give you an idea of what's possible.
  • Mart74
    Cheers guys, ill pass on the info :D
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Fabric glue? Sew simple or similar. I have patched the seat of some tights with this. Looks messy, but only if you get close, and requires absolutely not seamstress skills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    He needs a missus who sews !! Ha ha. Mine comes in handy for things like this !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    GoreTex repair patches hold out pretty well - went down the road in some Assos tights once, the patch held on for a couple more winters.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    My mother-in-law cut out a patch from the nliner within my bib tights and patched the knee of my Gore bib tights. Not exactly an invisible repair but given it was black on black it works well enough.

Tell him to get his wife/girlfriend/mother/mother-in-law onto the case.

If he hasn't got any of them with sewing capability then time to learn.

A fella can possibly do this too :lol:
  • Mart74
    Cheers Guys
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Why not try one of these ,they would look cool

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMwWDQ1MA==/ ... 880000500F
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Has anyone ever tried a very hot knife to melt the fabric back together? Might work for small tears, etc.? :?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    dennisn wrote:
    Has anyone ever tried a very hot knife to melt the fabric back together? Might work for small tears, etc.? :?

My friend tried that but he burnt his leg,,,,,a, a, come on
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,202
    i've repaired holes in castelli body paint bibs with iron-on wetsuit repair patch material, it's soft, thin and stretchy, works very well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I wonder if this works on thinning Lycra.....nothing worse than a white van man saying...'I can see your Ar$e soooort it aaaat'.
    :)

Edit: I am wondering of irons and lycra are compatible.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,202
    damocles10 wrote:
    <...>
    Edit: I am wondering of irons and lycra are compatible.

lycra's 'sticking' temperature is over 170 celcius, far hotter than needed for a good bond

body paint bibs are made with pretty thin lycra, so i started with the iron on * and slowly increased until the patch was bonding well

two things that matter...

i) you need to iron it on a hard surface to get enough pressure
    ii) the surface needs to be a poor heat conductor otherwise it acts as a heatsink to cool the patch, i used an old cork tile covered in aluminium foil

this is the patch kit i used...

http://www.jackson-sports.com/en/McNett ... -8620.aspx

...it's got three reviews (none mine) all from people who used it to repair their cycling shorts/tights
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I would take it to a local bridalwear shop. They do lots of alterations and should have an experienced machinist. If the patch is obvious it might give the wearer more of a tough-guy look. it wouldn't bother me to wear it. they might have some black lycra to patch with or castelli might post you a bit. sports direct stc sell some extremely cheap tights that used for parts.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow