Best way out of central London to Essex

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited March 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi there,

Just planning a summer trip to the Suffolk coast and the first day involves heading from home (central London) out into Essex.

I've always avoided cycling north of the river because it's just so busy; I do most of cycling south towards Crystal Palace or SW towards Richmond (and thence over the M25 and into the countryside). I was wondering if anyone has any route advice just to get out of London. Here's the current route for day 1 going out through Stratford and Ilford: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3975656
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• Maybe take a look on Bikely for the Dunwich Dynamo route? Starts London Fields.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Someone will no doubt come along and finesse this but I would go out to Hackney, Clapton / Clapton Pond, along Lea Bridge Road (busy but all with either cycle or bus lane) to Walthamstow then Whipps Cross roundabout and up through Epping Forest. Do it at any time apart from rush hour and it's a bit busy but not too bad - wide roads and enough space as I remember.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    lea river valley
  • MichaelW wrote:
    lea river valley

True, if you're good for off-road (well, towpath) then this is a good option.
  • I put the Lea River Valley based route into RWGPS and it looks really nice. I'll have to scout it out - never even knew it was there!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Its on gravel paths mostly and not all that fun on a road bike. Its not fast either. The dynamo route out of London is faster but quite busy and not all that great either!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Any route will involve going through parts of east London so by definition a bit grim. Pretty much all of routes out of london are crap due to either grim areas and / or busy trunks roads. Quiet but reasonably direct routes out of London just don't exist.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    t4tomo wrote:
    Any route will involve going through parts of east London so by definition a bit grim. Pretty much all of routes out of london are crap due to either grim areas and / or busy trunks roads. Quiet but reasonably direct routes out of London just don't exist.

True. Because of this I would recommend the shortest every time rather than having to muck about on gravel paths and canal towpaths! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    You could always stay on home turf South of the river and catch the Gravesend - Tilbury ferry.
    https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-servi ... ry-service