Brake pads

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I've just had my first real ride in the wet on my relatively new road bike (I'm usually found in the MTB section) and the braking was terrifying. I'm used to big old rotors on my MTB hydraulic so have realistic expectations that road rim brakes will never be that good, but tonight I just couldn't stop properly on some long steep descents. I'm a big unit of 115kg so appreciate ths is a big factor. The tyres weren't skidding, so I think it is then pads I need to look at first.

The bike is a Felt Z95 Sora Wiggle Sora Special but the brakes are Tektro. I can't find a model type.

I presume I'm better getting cartridges with the replaceable pads. Are there any types in particular I'd be better looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Koolstop Salmon
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Sorry to be a pain.

I can find various Kool Stop pads but I'm not sure about the cartridge part I'd need - are these interchangeable with Shimano cartridges, for example?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    edited February 2014
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I can find various Kool Stop pads but I'm not sure about the cartridge part I'd need - are these interchangeable with Shimano cartridges, for example?
    Yes, for your Tektros you just need to get the pads to fit Shimano cartridges. No need to get new cartridges and as mentioned the Koolstop Salmons or Swisstop Green pads are the best I've found. Swisstop also makes a new blue compound that is supposed to be even better than the green but I have not tried them yet and they are more expensive as well.
  • Any advice where I can buy Kool Stop salmon inserts online (except Wiggle) - I want to do a price comparison.

Thax
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am about 100kg and know what you mean about road bike rim brakes coming from hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bikes. The two weaknesses of road bike rim brakes are wet weather and stopping heavier riders. I upgraded my brakes to 105's and put swisstop greens brake pads on. They are much better in the dry and at least they now stop me in the wet.

You will never come close to the feel or stopping power of disc brakes unless you are very light weight and it is dry weather. Most road bikers tend to be shorter and weight a lot less than 100KG so would not notice the problem. For heavier mountain bikers it is very apparent.