Please help me identify my bike!

SherifH
SherifH Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Your road bikes
Long story cut short - this old racer was rescued from a skip outside the home of a Client my Dad was doing some building work for about 5 years ago. All I know is that he was relatively well to do, and had a genuine passion for cycling. Bike was obviously surplus to his requirements, but I have ridden it since then, and it is a lovely machine, despite it needing a little TLC to bring it back to former glory.

I am, however, a little confused as to it's origins. I have done a little research over the weekend, and can identify the following elements of the bike:

Frame - Unsure of bike manufacturer, but it does have a Columbus Zeta sticker on it, and whilst it appears to be styled like a seriously valuable Colnago, I'm certain it isn't that! The bottom tube says 'Bruno Sport' on it, and there are other 'B' markings on the rest of the frame.

Seat post - Gipiemme milled

Seat - Selle San Marco Regal Girardi perforated saddle

Stem - 3TTT

Bars - Cinelli

Brakes - Shimano 600

Front & rear mech - Shimano 600

Crankset - Shimano RX100

Wheels - Mavic Open 4 CD

Photobucket slideshow linked below...

http://s824.photobucket.com/user/Sherif ... slideshow/

I don't know much about so-called classic bikes, so I'm hoping you good people will be able to shed some light on whether I am sitting on a actual classic worth something, or whether it is just an old dog! :)

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I would guess that it was a generic Columbus zeta framed bike sprayed and labelled by a shop called Bruno Sport in the early-mid 80's. Zeta was pretty low down the range.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Try the retrobike forum btw...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gosh that bring back memories of when I was getting into the sport. It looks very 1986-88.

Never heard of Columbus Zeta so assume very low-end tubing. The frame isn't really nice, a bit workmanlike. Often, shop owners would get a bunch of frames and paint them with brand-name type colours - this particular one is knock-off of the Master Piu of the era.

Love how back in the day everything worked with everything else - suntour shifters, shimano derailleurs, aero grand comp brake levers...love it.

The scalloped headset was shimano's idea to solve people rounding off headset flats.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The frame isn't really nice, a bit workmanlike.

But workmanlike is nice - that's what you want. Nice brazing is worth a lot more than silly chainstay bridge detailing etc etc.

I think it looks pretty nice really.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    The frame isn't really nice, a bit workmanlike.

But workmanlike is nice - that's what you want. Nice brazing is worth a lot more than silly chainstay bridge detailing etc etc.

I think it looks pretty nice really.

....what he just said........handsome enough and not a penny paid!