Bike purchased now !

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all new to the forum but been lurking for a while now

Friends are heavily into xc biking Cannock chase etc and the more local Norfolk trails

I would like to get involved but not sure how I will get on I don't want to spend a fortune

I've been looking lots online and today I rode a 2013 (new) giant trance x3

Link Here

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s1p494 ... ce-X3-2013

Found it locally for £839 great bike felt slightly stretched so trying a medium elsewhere soon

Pretty happy with it gets good reviews any other considerations for the money ... Can't see many alternatives tbh for this sort of money

Buying this "cheap" will allow me to sell on once I've found out I like it and buy something better or upgrade this

Any help appreciated for clarity

5ft 10 ish and 14.5st aprox

Any feedback on medium / large trance for this height . .

ALTERNATIVES ?

Comments

• By the way I've had a search and a read of the threads I can find on the giant just wonder who has one
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    arrongreen wrote:
    By the way I've had a search and a read of the threads I can find on the giant just wonder who has one

I have one in medium. im 5ft 8 or 9, i reckon at 5ft 10 it will fit you like a glove. Its a good bike although i have made some upgrades

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12947494
  • mali01 wrote:
    arrongreen wrote:
    By the way I've had a search and a read of the threads I can find on the giant just wonder who has one

I have one in medium. im 5ft 8 or 9, i reckon at 5ft 10 it will fit you like a glove. Its a good bike although i have made some upgrades

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12947494

Great thread I felt the large was ok but a stretch interesting to see you've changed stem and bars :)
  • I spent some time looking and the trance seemed the best for that money when I got mine.

Also, you've already ridden it which is great so you know it won't be money wasted. All you need to do is get the correct size.
  • mali01
    Huge price difference between the 2. 50% off though isnt to be sniffed at! The Jekyll is no xc bike though.
  • Two very different bikes. From description of your intended use I would suggest the Trance is the better choice and at that price would be very hard to beat.

I am 6'2" with a 32" inside leg (short legs, long back) and have a large 2011 trance (same frame AFAIK). I have put a shorter stem and wider bars on it but that is all I changed and that was only because I wanted to experiment with wider bars, hence the shorter stem to compensate.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Also look at the giant reign 1 and reign 2 at Pauls cycles
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Also look at the giant reign 1 and reign 2 at Pauls cycles

Extremely good value, but a bit OTT for Cannock and Norfolk trails though?
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Really good info thank you very much

Yes two very different bikes just sucked in by the 50% off

Really genuinely pleased to hear that the trance is for me the better option :)

After all Norfolk is not exactly full of hills :)
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Also look at the giant reign 1 and reign 2 at Pauls cycles

Beautiful bikes think I'm learning things like the Jekyll and the above are more downhill type bikes ?
    Probably over and above what I need
  • Not downhill mate, all mountain
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Not downhill mate, all mountain
    Ahh ok but for the chase a few jumps small drops stone paths farm tracks etc I'll be fine as a begineer with the trance
  • mali01
    The Trance is pretty burly for a xc bike, it can take some abuse and keep going. Its more than enough for what you need it for!
  • mali01 wrote:
    The Trance is pretty burly for a xc bike, it can take some abuse and keep going. Its more than enough for what you need it for!
    Agreed :)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm 5ft 10 and just under 12 st. My medium trance with a 60mm stem and 720mm bars fits just about, as the medium does come up a little small IMHO. A large might suit.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I'm 5ft 10 and just under 12 st. My medium trance with a 60mm stem and 720mm bars fits just about, as the medium does come up a little small IMHO. A large might suit.

Ok good advise thanks ... Hope to get a medium to try soon
  • Out of interest what sort of things do you look feel for to know its "right?"
  • Ok so a complete change I mind

Today a friend picked this up for me as sadly I'm not feeling great

I had ridden this previously and it just felt "right"

It's a Cannondale One Twenty 1 I opted for the Saint pedals too.

235C872F-08AD-4796-B782-A0EFF326836F_zps3o7hswro.jpg

C70516EE-2CA2-454F-8301-4C1CBD8251CA_zps6j3k6rab.jpg

The spec seems a lot better than the giant and also it benefits from front and rear lockout which i think will be really useful.

Comments welcome
  • mali01
    arrongreen wrote:
    Ok so a complete change I mind

Today a friend picked this up for me as sadly I'm not feeling great

I had ridden this previously and it just felt "right"

It's a Cannondale One Twenty 1 I opted for the Saint pedals too.

235C872F-08AD-4796-B782-A0EFF326836F_zps3o7hswro.jpg

C70516EE-2CA2-454F-8301-4C1CBD8251CA_zps6j3k6rab.jpg

The spec seems a lot better than the giant and also it benefits from front and rear lockout which i think will be really useful.

Comments welcome

Very nice. I got the rz120 2 in white for my wife a few weeks ago and she's made up with it. What size did you go for in the end?
  • Due to the cannondales smaller frame size this one is a large and feels just right.

Soon as it was home and I sat on it I knew it was right I had previously discounted it due to the price but I could just not ignore it any longer as it felt perfect and is spec'ed well

So I can ride it as soon as I'm feeling better maybe Cannock this Sunday
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Great looking bike!
  • Great middle ground!

Enjoy :D
  • Thanks all - I will start a thread to document my progress :)