Which di2 bits

gavbarron
gavbarron Posts: 824
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I've ordered a di2 frame and am cobbling bits together, what do I need to make an ultegra di2 groupset? (10 speed)
Obviously I know I need mechs and sti's but what else? Battery, battery holder, charger and which cables? Is there one cable harness or do I need to order various different sets? I was hoping I could order a harness set with wires that just run off to each component. Any other bits that aren't obvious?
Also, are dura ace and ultegra bits cross compatible? Struggling to find an ultegra battery but can get DA and thought I could just mix and match depending on availability

Comments

• mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    It will depend on the design of your frame, ie if it is internal or external routing.
  • It's an internal di2 frame
  • mister p
    You will need -

STI levers
    Front mech
    Rear mech
    Junction box (3 or 5 port)
    6 cables (STI left, STI right, downtube, front mech, rear mech, battery)
    Internal junction box
    Internal battery
    Charger for internal battery
    Chainset
    Bottom bracket
    Cassette
    Chain
    Brake callipers

Ultegra 10 speed, Ultegra 11 speed and Dura Ace 11 speed all use the same wiring and batteries.
  • That's handy, so I could use the newer seatpost battery with older 6770 ultegra kit then?
    There is not a harness then, just individual cables that run to the junction box? How do you route them inside frame? Where does junction box live? Is there a recess?
  • mister p
    Yes, the seatpost battery will work fine.

The 3 or 5 port box goes under the stem, the internal box usually sits above the BB inside the frame. You buy the 6 wires in the correct lengths for your frame, much neater and easier to install than a generic kit.

Feeding the wires through the frame is easiest with a bare frame and a decent workstand so you can spin the frame around and use gravity to help bring the cables through. The last one I was involved with spent a lot of time upside down running the cable from headtube down the down tube.
  • Ok thanks
  • Another question then ref bits

I have 6770 Di2 shifters and mechs now.
    I want to use the new etube battery and can find that ok, also charger
    Brakes are integrated in frame
    Crankset and cassette sorted

So that just leaves the 2 junction boxes and 6 cables to find. Are they the •SM-JC41 internal junction box and •EW-SD50 power cable (x6 in relevant lengths) and the •SM-JC41 Di2 Internal Cable Junction?

Does that seem right? Then just a case of put it all together and fire her up I guess
  • Doesn't matter found a di2 bike and had a look round it, makes sense now and not as complicated as I had made it in my head!
  • mister p
    Yeah, it's not that complicated really. Good luck with the build.
  • If you are buying loose cables you'll need to buy the cable tie type things separately as well. The clip onto the cable and the stop the cable rattling around inside the frame. I can't remember what they are called but I believe Evans has stock. If you do a search on there for di2 they should be obvious.