Conversion advice

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Ok hopefully this is the correct place, I would like to convert my 2013 Pinnacle Lithium Hybrid into a more road friendly bike, Namely a drop bar to give me a few more hand positions and also tackle some bigger rides this spring.

I am aware that there would be a fair amount of cost involved and in a ideal world I would by a 2nd hand road bike but due to space restrictions I only have room for 1 bike.

I just want to check that my plan is seems correct, Have I missed anything out ? Also with the mix of MTB front mech work with Road bike rear mech ? Here is my shopping list:

NEW PARTS
Drop bar (obviously) 31.8mm clamp - £20
Bar Tape x 2 - £15-20
Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters - £45
Tektro RL520 Brake levers (for use with linear pull brakes, mech discs) - £20
Shimano Claris 8spd Rear Mech (Current mech a bit worn so will replace) - £20
Misc Cables etc - £10-20

CURRENT PARTS TO WORK WITH CONVERSION
Shimano Alivio triple chainset
Shimano Alivo Front Mech
KMC 8 Speed Chain
Shimano Mechanical discs 160/160 rotors

Thoughts ? Will mixing 8 speed road gear work with a 8 speed Alivio front mech and Alivio chainset ? Will a bike originally supplied with 38c tyres work with 25c tyres?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    mr_eddy - I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a similar question?

I've a friend riding a hybrid with 9 speed Tiagra. He'd like to change to a road bike layout and I think the geometry should work fine for him with drop bars so I've suggested he buy a set of 9 speed Sora STI levers. Am I correct in thinking the current 9 speed Sora levers will be compatible with the older 9 speed Tiagra derailleurs and brakes?
    I've had a look on the Shimano site but if there a good source of compatibility info on there I can't find it!

Thanks
  • ai_1
    mr_eddy wrote:
    .........NEW PARTS
    Drop bar (obviously) 31.8mm clamp - £20
    Bar Tape x 2 - £15-20
    Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters - £45
    Tektro RL520 Brake levers (for use with linear pull brakes, mech discs) - £20
    Shimano Claris 8spd Rear Mech (Current mech a bit worn so will replace) - £20
    Misc Cables etc - £10-20..........
    Why are you getting bar end shifters instead of STI levers?
    mr_eddy wrote:
    .....Will a bike originally supplied with 38c tyres work with 25c tyres?
    The size tyres you can use are dependent on the wheel rim width. It's likely that the rims are too wide for 25s but would be fine with 28s. I can't remember the relationship between rim and tyre widths right now but you should find what you need to know here: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html
    28s are a perfectly reasonable size for road riding. Maybe a little less aero and a little heavier than 23/25 but they roll nicely and you can drop the pressure a bit for lots of comfort.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't comment on the mechanical stuff but unless you really lash it up you should only need one lot of bar tape. You usually get 2 rolls in a pack.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Ai_1 wrote:

Can you still get 8 speed STIs? Also I suspect the amount of pull for caliper brakes is not going to work for mechanical disks, though any more than this I have absolutely no clue.

Oh, and all the 9 speed stuff is compatible (in the Shimano domain anyway).
  • ai_1
    craker wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

Can you still get 8 speed STIs? Also I suspect the amount of pull for caliper brakes is not going to work for mechanical disks, though any more than this I have absolutely no clue.
    Yes. I just had a quick look on Wiggle and they have 2 options, Claris and 2300, both for triples.
    Never heard of Claris before!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-st-2400 ... ti-levers/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-2300-st ... lever-set/

If you're already planning to replace the rear derailleur and the gear shifters it might be worth switching to a 9 speed? I think the only extra cost is a new cassette and 9 speed cassettes aren't expensive. I know my suggestions are getting incrementally more expensive so ignore depending on your budget. However if I was going to upgrade I'd definitely want STIs.
    craker wrote:
    Oh, and all the 9 speed stuff is compatible (in the Shimano domain anyway).
    Thanks, I though that but wasn't absolutely certain.
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for all the advice, in reference to not getting STI's its because I have mechanical discs and as such I need a brake lever with a longer pull. If there are any STI levers out there that will work with mechanical discs and also be compatible with 8speed I am defo interested.

As far as I can tell I would need to either add some travel adjusters or fit standard road brakes (which I can't do because I don't have brake bosses)

Re - Tyres I thought 25c may be a little narrow so I think 28c will probably be fine.

Thanks
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, in reference to not getting STI's its because I have mechanical discs and as such I need a brake lever with a longer pull. If there are any STI levers out there that will work with mechanical discs and also be compatible with 8speed I am defo interested.

As far as I can tell I would need to either add some travel adjusters or fit standard road brakes (which I can't do because I don't have brake bosses)

Re - Tyres I thought 25c may be a little narrow so I think 28c will probably be fine.

Thanks

I have done much the same as you. The tektro levers work fine with my long pull v brake calipers.
    I did experiment with a short custom made straight bar below the drop bars and used 8 speed trigger shifters on this but in the end changed to bar ends.
  • sell this bike.

buy a road bike.
    Aran
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    sell this bike.

buy a road bike

Think i would do this probably be not that much more expensive & you would end up with a better bike.

Triban 3 or something
  • Not only that, but if your Pinnacle is the right size for you now, it will not be the right size when you fit drop bars.

Drop bars plus hoods are much longer reach than flat/riser bars.
    Aran
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for the responses, I will do a bit more research on geometry etc,

I am not going to sell the bike as mentioned I like having the discs and guard plus rack mounts for when I ride to work and whilst the Triban 3 looks like a very good deal its still over £100 more than the budget to convert my current bike but I would lose the disc brakes plus the ability to run full guards with rack and 28c tyres so sort of defeats the point.

Thanks