MTB been sitting for couple of years - what to check

colin747
colin747 Posts: 77
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Unfortunately due to work commitments my Marin has been sadly sitting my garage for the last two years or so but I'm finally in a stable position where I can get back out on a regular basis :D:D

Of course my worry is if anything has degraded over this time or will need replaced/renewed etc. As well as what in general to give a good check over? (or am I safer just leaving it in with a professional)

EDIT: Meant to add it's a hardtail

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I'd at least give the fork a lower-leg service with new seals and oil, and check the brakes for signs of slow leaks, sticking pitsons, etc.

Other stuff might need attention depending on how clean and well-maintained it was when you put it in there. If it wasn't particularly well looked after, then you might end up needing to replace bearings in wheels, headset and bottom bracket, so I'd check how smoothly they turn. Also, if the chain was low on lube or covered in dirty water, then it might have developed stiff links or corrosion, but again, that will be obvious when you spin the cranks. Check the indexing, too, and if there's any problems sorting it, then new cables would be a good idea.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Depends what level kit is on it. I would usually be temptedto pump up the tyres to check for cracks, give it a clean and fresh lube, then see how it rides. If it's been indoors then hopefully it doesn't need hub services. Only possible issues could be Avid brakes, and dry seals on forks. A wipe of lube on the stantions then compress them.
  • mattv wrote:
    Depends what level kit is on it. I would usually be temptedto pump up the tyres to check for cracks, give it a clean and fresh lube, then see how it rides. If it's been indoors then hopefully it doesn't need hub services. Only possible issues could be Avid brakes, and dry seals on forks. A wipe of lube on the stantions then compress them.

Aye it's been stored indoors, as for level of kit mostly Sram X9 drivetrain, Fox forks, Hayes brakes, not sure about stuff like hubs, BB, headset etc.

Thanks for the replies guys.