Best UK night rides

NathanBahley
NathanBahley Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Hey, I am trying to compile a list of the best places in the UK to ride at night, any experience anybody has would be handy - so where have you had a blast after dark (so to speak)?

Cheers!
Nathan B

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably the woods and stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Longleat is good in summer. Gets a bit boggy in the winter. The noises from the safari park adds quite an atmosphere, the lions and wolves can be quite noisy at night. Theres miles of good single track as well and very little light pollution.
    Most importantly there are several good post ride pubs.
  • Not done it myself but this looks good. Maybe a bit far for you to travel though lol
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Surely it's the same as the best places to ride during the day?... :?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:

Kinda looking for places that would be added to by being in the dark, like amazing night time views or trails that are transformed by lack of forward vision - Rockmonkey's idea about Longleat is excellent, love that. And he mentions pubs, can't do a good night ride without a decent boozer.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Ridgeway from Ivinghoe Beacon to Wendover.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ilovedirt wrote:

Kinda looking for places that would be added to by being in the dark, like amazing night time views or trails that are transformed by lack of forward vision - Rockmonkey's idea about Longleat is excellent, love that. And he mentions pubs, can't do a good night ride without a decent boozer.
    Alright fair enough. Probably not one of the best night rides, but there's a nice open descent near me that when dark, you're just surrounded by lights from Bethesda (usually a dump, looks nice at night). Really cool.

1426176_10202467089817102_98405883_n.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Brecon beacons has to be a good one cos of the great views of the stars on a clear night. I think it's been declared a blackout area or whatever they call them because of the lack of light pollution from street lights
  • The Soho loop is good for riding at night.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd imagine the welsh trail centres would be nice at night - Afan would be superb I reckon, maybe a tad technical.

Swinley Forest could be interesting dodging the pikeys burning stolen scooters.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    I'd imagine the welsh trail centres would be nice at night .

top of cwmcarn :

1450725_547163675362751_1744947751_n.jpg

local loop with a full moon:

1723251_592233980855720_647433847_n.jpg
  • Cheers for this guys, all good stuff, will post a link to the blog here when it is done. WelshKev do you mind me using that pic of the top of Cwmcarn in the blog?

Ta very much,

Nathan B :D
  • The correct answer is pretty much anywhere. It's just a completely different experience with all your senses being tested.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • welshkev
    Cheers for this guys, all good stuff, will post a link to the blog here when it is done. WelshKev do you mind me using that pic of the top of Cwmcarn in the blog?

Ta very much,

Nathan B :D

Yeah no probs mate, but if you make any money I take payment in pizza :)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Giraffoto wrote:
    The Ridgeway from Ivinghoe Beacon to Wendover.

+1 really nice view looking out at the lights from the nearby towns. Often go up there for a bit of Stargazing too.
  • rvfbill
    rvfbill Posts: 5
    Hamsterley forest Transmission red route ALL 3 sections. Cloudless evening couple of weeks ago, never seen so many stars because of no light pollution.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/352691/

Enjoy Bill
  • Cheers so much for all your input on this fella's... For anybody that is interested the final blog is here:

http://os-bridge.com/blog/great-uk-night-rides/

Thanks again,
    Nathan B