Headset for Touring Bike?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hello,

Looking for a recommendations on a headset for a Surly LHT 700c frame and forks.

Also, should the bearings come pre-oiled and is there any prep work needed doing to the riser bar area?
I'll be getting a LBS to fit the headset but just wanted to familiarize myself with the process.

Thanks,

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    According to the description of Surly LHT 700c frame and forks, it is a standard 1 and 1/8th threadless headset. So you have two types - one's with bearing races and the other is sealed units. Obviously, the sealed one's you don't have to lubricate. Pretty straightforward to fit - why don't you skip the 'LBS' bit?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Thank you,

There is currently the old headset fitted and I don't have the tools for removing / installing. I plan to do most other jobs on the build (except wheels) but don't want to risk damaging the headset.

I will make a note of size being 1, 1/8th - you say 2 types - sealed & race, I think sealed will be better for a tour - is the life of a part like this good?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you don't have the tools just take it to the LBS and get them to remove all the parts and fit the new (cups and crown race).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    There is currently the old headset fitted and I don't have the tools for removing / installing.
    Is your current headset worn out? If not I don't see any need to get a new one. Even less expensive HS's should be very durable if kept lubed properly.
  • Thanks guys and sorry for delay,

I purchased frame second hand and there is a FSA headset fitted, I've not really thought much about keeping it - is FSA a good make?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on which model of FSA headset - there are some good ones and some less so. Depends if it feels notchy and rough - if the cups aren't damaged you can simply replace the bearings.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks,

So if you were picking a headset Monty for around the 30 quid mark with touring/durability in mind - what would you pick?
  • For touring you want reliability, get a Chris king, use a very good shop as you'll need to have the headtube reamed and faced and the fork crown reamed and faced