Nukeproof mega owners help

marcaudsley
marcaudsley Posts: 187
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Any Mega owners on here that could give me an insight into the bikes?
Thinkin of a new frame and had almost decided on either a Remedy or a Covert.
But..saw an ad for a Mega frame and it looks like my kinda thing!
2013 frame with the Monarch plus RC3 shock
Usual riding places...annual Alps trip, Scotland, Wales etc with lots of local Calderdale loops
Too "Alps" orientated? or am I over thinking this?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you thinking of the Mega AM or TR?
    The TR is closer to the Remedy and Covert.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Are you thinking of the Mega AM or TR?
    The TR is closer to the Remedy and Covert.

Really? I'd say the AM is closer to the Covert seeing as it has 160mm front and back
  • rockmonkeysc
    I was confused and thinking of the Bandit, not the Covert. The Mega AM is closer to the Covert but the TR is closer to the Remedy.
  • I bought a mega am at a really good price off CRC last week.

one ride in, and im very happy. i put a pair of Pikes on it and it handled lovely.

Only downside ive noticed on it, is the Rockshox shock, is not quite a match to a fox i had on my last bike.

the 3 damper settings just dont have the marked difference that the CTD does on the fox, leaving climbing a slightly bobby affair at the moment.

to be fair tho, it gets really good reviews in the climbing department usually, and i put that down to being best part of 18.5 stone in riding gear, and having to have the shock almost at max psi to get the sag! :oops:
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Excellent Monarch + RC3 tuning tips here:http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/rockshox-monarch-plus-rc3-shock
    My 2013 Mega AM frame is fresh out of its box, so I'm in the process of fine-tuning, although I'm blundering around in the dark a bit, as I've come form a steel hardtail, which donated all its parts. All suggestions welcome!
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • I haven't got my tr yet so can't give any opinion on ride experience.
    But how long did it take from ordering your bikes to your front door?
  • rockmonkeysc
    It took CRC three days to deliver mine.
    The Mega TR is great fun to ride. It feels really good on fast, flowing trails and is great to jump. Rocky trails require speed and commitment to help with the short travel but once you get used to it then its just all fun. It's pretty good up hill. My last xc bike was an Anthem, it's not as effortless as that was but not too far off.
    It's definitely the best trail bike I have owned.