All mountain for £2000 ?

mc_hawkings24
mc_hawkings24 Posts: 51
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys I'm looking for a new bike. I ride a cannondale rush lefty and I've been taking it around
Holmbury hill, peas lake but after todays outing I think I could do with something abit more capable.

I can't be sure what to get. I don't do huge jumps but I wouldn't mind learning to try small jumps and work up and go faster and lose abit of the fear, go to trail centers etc.

I was looking at paulcycles for deals but looking at evanscycles they do the same deals so I can go try some bikes out. I'd be looking at 650b's which looks like the new thing as I'm buying new might aswell go 650b?
I'd be going to finance route and 2grand would be my limit so what should I look at for that?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s154p ... 9ER-1-2013
Having got a cannondale rush I would love a new lefty without the need to reset the bearings.
Not sure this type of bike would suit my needs although its in there "over mountain range" I also rode a specialized 29'er earlier for couple of minutes it felt massive like a penny farthing but it was a large.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p534 ... Elite-2014
Gt sensor elite? looks nice good spec

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... 9#features

What are the opinions of the bikes I've linked and any other suggestions?

thanks guys

Comments

• Been looking around and started looking at the titus el guapo but its not available in 650b.
    Have been looking at giant trance and reigns but I just can't get on with the looks of the new frames.

Any suggestions guys
  • Can anyone advise me on what bikes to look at in 650b and around my price range?
    Looking at videos giant anthems look very capable on single track should I take a look at them? Also would the spark compare to an anthem? gt sensor? slightly out of my price but Lapierre Zesty AM 327
    thanks
  • The Cannondale Rush is a fairly laid back bike for its travel, more so than the giant anthem for sure, so I'd ask whether you're running stock bars and stem ? If so, I'd seriously try wider bars and a shorter stem before changing bike.....made the world of difference to my rz120 which rides a tad steeper
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Nukeproof Mega TR
  • Hi I have the older bbq black rush could be 2006-2008 not sure if the steerer geometry is different? but It has the lefty dlr2 and only meant for average trails and some small obstacles. I do have different bars and a 90mm stem which is better and feels good but still not meant to jump with this bike.

Also with new bikes coming along with longer forks would 160mm be ok for climbing?
    The cube frittz hpa 160 is well in my price range at £1799 but has 160mm forks would they get boggy on a climb or are they pretty good these days?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Fritzz-160 ... _66734.htm

Edit: actually quite like the silver nukeproof now I've found quality pics

http://www.globalbike.co.uk/bikes/mount ... -2014.html

the fritzz looks to be a better spec to me but nukeproof looks better hmm need to try out some bikes
  • just having a look at the spec of the mega.
    rockshock monarch r 190x51 I can swap my rp23 high tune which is 6months old straight over
    same as my 6month old shimano slx brakes for the avids :-)
    Only dealer i can find for the mega near me is nirvanacycles near dorking and they have a demo bike.
  • I haven't bought a bike yet but I'm getting the cash together after the sale of my bike.
    Still looking at the mega tr comp but are there any other bikes to look at besides the mega?

thanks
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I was just about to advise on a Canyon, probably the Nerve AL + 9.0se which has recenlty been reduced. Unfortunately these are not able to be bought via a finance option. Other than that I think Nukeproof Mega would be a solid choice.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Your bike should be capable enough. Maybe consider some coaching to improve your skills and confidence.
    What's your bike set up like?
  • Hi brucie the mega is looking like the right one to go for just need a test ride.
    Rockmonkey I've seen a few threads you've posted in and you do get a slating sometimes which is abit sad.
    I just got the fork on the rush rebuilt and I don't want it destroyed plus your not really meant to jump and do heavy landings with the dlr2 so saids the manual. In the beginning i bought the rush not thinking I'd do anything other than cross country but now having sampled some of the trail centres it's opened up a whole new world I never knew existed. I need a more capable bike something I won't get worried about breaking and going by the mega it looks like it can take a bashing but its not as though i'm going to be danny macaskill over night...wish lol

Did have a look at the lapierre zesty and spicy again yesterday but they have the dodgy cdt shocks all round so that those ones off the list.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Mega can certainly take a good battering. I only have the short travel TR model and it gives huge amounts of confidence and is solidly built. CRC have got the Mega TR frames for around £850 at the moment.
    I know someone who has a Rush with a 130mm Revelation fork fitted. It's a pretty good bike and has stood up well to his ham fisted attempts at jumping.
  • Yer i did think about changing the fork out but then I'd need a wheel, tapered fork, headset reducer and stem .
    The i was looking at anthems in 26" then boardmans but then if spending the money why not try 27.5 so worked up the list :D . I see your megas a large I wonder how it compares to my large rush!? I'm 5ft9 how tall are you?

cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    My Mega is an XL and I'm 6'1".
    My last bike was an Anthem and while I think they are excellent bikes they are very similar to your Rush, possibly slightly more xc focused.
  • I thought your frame looked alittle big, you've got it down as a large in your build thread dude.
    Giants geometry is def more xc focus think its 70 something instead of the rushes 69.
  • Nukeproof mega tr 275 medium ordered but now the long wait. Excited can't wait
    to get my hands on it, lets hope it comes before next weekend and then i can report back :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I thought your frame looked alittle big, you've got it down as a large in your build thread dude.
    Giants geometry is def more xc focus think its 70 something instead of the rushes 69.

I probably wrote large because it feels like a large.