Recommend me some jockey wheels

Corners R Us
Corners R Us Posts: 214
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
So I fell for the bling factor of some Chinese jobbies and the black ones on my winter bike have seized solid and the red ones on my full susser aren't far behind! You get what you pay for I spose!!

I'm not sure I want to spend the £30 on Hope ones unless they are as good as they cost!

Tacx - don't seem to get good reviews.

Shimano? Zoom? Any other brands worth considering? Ceramic bearings.

I'm going with black this time and doing away with the bilng factor!!

Suggestions based one experience please.

Thanks. Corners

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tacx are excellent, as are Rollerboy. And cheaper than Shimano. Mine wear to throwing stars before the bearings go.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    KCNC? I had a set on my hardtail, sold the bike but they'd done around 1100mi and were still going strong, wear was good and bearings ran smooth. They're alu and come in a range of colours.
  • KCNC - cheap and reliable - look good and you don't collect as much gunk as standard pulleys.
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BBB Rollerboys. Cheap, functional and long lasting.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Do all these work with 10sp Shimano?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Found the Mt Zoom ultralight ones lasted surprisingly well - longer than OEM Shimano/SRAM ones. Their 'normal' ones will last ages.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    whichever you go for make sure you buy the sealed bearing version.

i was using some sealed bearing tacx wheels on a deore mech until i replaced it last week which worked fine and was quieter than the original ones shimano fit at the factory.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I had some BBB Rollerwhatevers in my eBay watch list so I might plump for a set of them (£8 ish I think). Yep sealed bearings all the way given the gritty bike hating gloop we're riding in at the moment!!

Cheers, Corners
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Got some kcnc ones to replace my cheese-like X0s. Even if they last no longer they look better and were cheaper
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Think I might go for a couple of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120990525614? ... 1423.l2649

Only because I've replaced just about everything else I can with ti :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Had Tacx and BBB Rollerboys, OK in the summer but the bearings seized up multiple times after a wet muddy ride. There is nothing really shielding the bearing from the elements. So those two I personally wouldn't recommend. Had some MOWA Jockey Wheels which were decent and lasted well, had to file out the plastic shim a bit though. Trying out some AEST anodised aluminum ones now, see how they go. My brother has them and they have lasted well so far.