what size cassette for Majorca

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I am off to Majorca for a training camp next month, I currently have a 25-12 cassette, would it be worth getting a cassette with a 27 or 28 on it?, I will be running a standard chainset with 53,39 rings on it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Yes
    Although the climbs aren't too steep have the extra gears is a big help especially up something like Sa Callobra
    I ran an 11-28 last year and it was pretty much spot on
  • 39x25 is fine for everything over there, if you like to spin then possibly go with a 27 but there is nothing particularly steep there. Every climb there is climbable in the big ring so going smaller than a 25 may be overkill.
  • Very difficult to give gearing advice to individuals about whom we have zero knowledge about their level of fitness. :shock: :wink:
    Very difficult to give gearing advice to individuals about whom we have zero knowledge about their level of fitness. :shock: :wink:

...though it never seems to stop people trying........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Very difficult to give gearing advice to individuals about whom we have zero knowledge about their level of fitness. :shock: :wink:

True, but unless you're pretty damn good, and/or a grinder, definitely fit the 27/28.
    I'm off there next week, and even with a compact I'll be fitting my 11-28.

True, but unless you're pretty damn good, and/or a grinder, definitely fit the 27/28.
    I'm off there next week, and even with a compact I'll be fitting my 11-28.

I totally agree Berni. I'm all for fitting low gears! :lol:

Or put the 11-28 on.
  • with a 27 or 28 the 2nd gear will be a 25 or 24, so you gain the adv of a granny gear :) but you don't have to use it.

I passed ... sorry got passed by Sky and BMC riders last year and they had plenty big cassettes on the back.

tbh I spent most of the time on 21 and 19 but one day on Sa Colabra the wind was so strong I needed the 27.

To Ozzy, that 2 stage race you asked about is on BC S/W region now, Easter week end.
  • I live here and use a 53-39 with an 11-28 di2 its good for me and im a heavy fecker. You should be fine. Unless you really struggle with hills 27 or 28 will be fine im sure
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Very difficult to give gearing advice to individuals about whom we have zero knowledge about their level of fitness. :shock: :wink:
    I agree. Interesting to think what info an informed decision might need though:

Weight?
    Miles p/a cycled?
    Ideal cadence?
    Watts threshold?
    Bike/wheels/tyres being used?

I tend to think i have a fairly decent level of fitness, last year I went to lanzarote and coped fine with a 39-25 as smallest gear, but i think that although I could probably get by with a 25 it doesn't mean it is the best to run
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    take both = problem solved.
  • Imposter wrote:

Even better, take both and a chain whip and a cassette lockring tool.....
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Imposter wrote:

Even better, take both and a chain whip and a cassette lockring tool.....

Screw that, take a following car and a spare bike fitted with a different cassette...