Camp Zonda - all year round use?

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Quite fancy some Camp Zonda rims - right price range, nice weight etc, but are they good all year or will I be needing winter/training wheels too?

I'd prefer to only have one set lazy/poor the whole 9 yards.

Riding a Giant TCR until I can afford a new bike, generally a lot of hills over in North Wales and some stuff in Cheshire.
Weight 73kg

Cheers for any advice. Have asked around for a local wheel smith but no one seems to be able to name one hence the factory built choice.
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• They're fine. Winter is no different than any time of year in the UK. Rain is rain.

If you're worried, wash them more often, but keep strong jets of water away from the bearing and cassette.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    53654564.jpg
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Yep! that's a camp Zonda :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Currently using my recently purchased Zondas on the Ridley and they have been fine so far,quick wipe over with some soapy water and then dry off and they come up loverly.
    To be honest though I still have the Forza wheels which will be used for winter duties most of the time but I'm enjoying the nice ride from the Zondas too much to change back at the moment 8)
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    They'll be absolutely fine, as long as you accept that their lifetime will effectively be the lifetime of the front rim - sourcing Campagnolo replacement rims is too much hassle and expense to be worthwhile, and they don't sell single wheels. With handbuilt wheels you could get the hubs rebuilt on new rims when the latter wear out. But you could still get years of use out of the Zondas, so it just depends on your priorities. The Zondas are difficult to beat for weight/stiffness/value. However I'm guessing that in North Wales you do quite a lot of descending in wet conditions - that could seriously shorten the life of the rims...
  • Flâneur
    Cheers. especially for the car, may have to save up and skip buying bike stuff ;0.

Thanks neeb, yeah some horrible wet descents that leaves rubber muck all over my frame. Guessing this will be an issue with any wheel though?
    Final question from the ignorant, how long would you normally expect a pair of rims to last? I know the variables will be amount of braking etc, but generally?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I ride my Shimano RS10's year round and they still have plenty of metal left on the braking track after 6000 miles, but round here and doing the kind of riding I do, they don't get a lot of heavy braking. Were I doing my riding up and down Welsh hills / mountains I'd be checking them more frequently.
  • neeb wrote:
    They'll be absolutely fine, as long as you accept that their lifetime will effectively be the lifetime of the front rim - sourcing Campagnolo replacement rims is too much hassle and expense to be worthwhile, and they don't sell single wheels. With handbuilt wheels you could get the hubs rebuilt on new rims when the latter wear out. But you could still get years of use out of the Zondas, so it just depends on your priorities. The Zondas are difficult to beat for weight/stiffness/value. However I'm guessing that in North Wales you do quite a lot of descending in wet conditions - that could seriously shorten the life of the rims...
    Funny, I wear out rears faster. It's better to scrub speed with your rear brake than the front, esp. as the roads I ride in Surrey/Kent/commuting in London are wet 93.4% of the time hence front-biased braking, esp. vigorous, can lead to a washout and self-inflicted meeting with mother earth.

This could have a lot to do with my MTB background which really punishes overzealous front biased braking...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And I hardly ever touch the rear brake, so I'm just keeping an eye on the wear indicators on the front rim.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    be absolutely fine to use all year round
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Final question from the ignorant, how long would you normally expect a pair of rims to last? I know the variables will be amount of braking etc, but generally?

I've been using a pair of Khamsins (which aren't wildly different to Zondas) day in day out for probably at least 14,000 miles in all weathers. I've replaced all the bearings a couple of thousand a go but otherwise they are still fine. The wear indicator on the front rim is not far from disappearing though so soon I'll have to be checking the rim width regularly. If they make it through the next few weeks they'll probably last another 5000 or so til winter.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    I've got an old set of Fulcrum 3's which are the same as the Zondas (just different drilling patern) and they are now in their 4th winter, the braking surface is showing some serious concaving and I'll probably retire them after this winter for safety reasons. They'll have around 15,000km on them by the time I do that.
    Note that I do NOT wash them after every ride and that I've never serviced the hubs. I've only opened, cleaned and greased the freehub once as it became too noisy...
  • Flâneur
    Cheers everyone, off to price match and get some harribo thrown in
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    edited February 2014
    neeb wrote:
    Funny, I wear out rears faster. It's better to scrub speed with your rear brake than the front, esp. as the roads I ride in Surrey/Kent/commuting in London are wet 93.4% of the time hence front-biased braking, esp. vigorous, can lead to a washout and self-inflicted meeting with mother earth.

This could have a lot to do with my MTB background which really punishes overzealous front biased braking...

Probably, but that means that you are not braking properly, just saying. :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    gabriel959 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

Probably, but that means that you are not breaking properly, just saying. :lol:

But he is at least spelling properly! :lol:
  • gabriel959
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

Excuse me? :mrgreen::wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I have a pair of Zonda's and a pair of RS80's ,both for summer use.
    I don't use them in the winter, because:

A lot of my riding is training in bad weather and/or in the dark on greasy, muddy country roads and commuting into a sh*t part of town on sh*t road surfaces and mixing with sh*t drivers.

Winter riding is, as a rule, slower, more cautious and less competitive than in the summer. I don't think that riding a £300+ wheelset will gain me any worthwhile advantage in the winter when a £100 wheelset will do just fine. And, in case anyone didn't notice, the weather is worse than in the summer ,more rainy days and salty roads equals more wet grit acting like a grinding paste on your rims every time you brake. So, the amount of wear on your wheels IS accelerated in winter.
    Course, if you have money to burn you may not think £300 is a lot of money or you may only go out on sunny days or at the weekend ,so then maybe you should just use your expensive wheels all year round. They won't be any less durable than a cheap wheelset. It's just that putting them through 3k or so winter miles is just putting wear on them for very little gain, a gain that most of us can live without at a time of year when outright speed and responsiveness from our wheels is not particularly important. This is why most people use a cheap pair of wheels in winter.
  • rolf_f
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

And you shouldn't be sleeping properly tonight!
  • gabriel959
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

And you shouldn't be sleeping properly tonight!

Don't do anyway as I have a one year old who wakes up once or twice a night!!! :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    I've had Zondas on my Cube the past two years, been ridden all year round, and been perfect, not a mark on them, still perfectly true, great wheels for the money.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Semantik
    Doony wrote:
    I've had Zondas on my Cube the past two years, been ridden all year round, and been perfect, not a mark on them, still perfectly true, great wheels for the money.

To have genuinely NO wear on them in two years would suggest a microscopically small mileage in that time. Unless you ride billiard table smooth roads and never brake.
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    Semantik wrote:
    Doony wrote:

To have genuinely NO wear on them in two years would suggest a microscopically small mileage in that time. Unless you ride billiard table smooth roads and never brake.

Well I probably slightly exaggerated :lol:
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Semantik
    Doony wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Doony wrote:

Well I probably slightly exaggerated :lol:

Thought so :wink:
    Pleased to hear you rate them highly. Looking forward to putting mine on once it stops raining...
  • Flâneur
    Rather than making a new topic, fresh question as I thought the wheels would include rim tape.

Do you need rim tape if the spokes are't visible from within the rim? I've just got a polished smooth surface but would rather check before I go puncture a load of inner tubes having had 3 punctures last night
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Rather than making a new topic, fresh question as I thought the wheels would include rim tape.

Do you need rim tape if the spokes are't visible from within the rim? I've just got a polished smooth surface but would rather check before I go puncture a load of inner tubes having had 3 punctures last night
    No, assuming the current Zondas are like the Shamals and Eurus (pretty sure they are), you don't need rim tape.