Shimano 9 speed shifters

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
My SLX shifters are starting to give up after a good four years use. The ratchet in the right hand lever has started to slip.
Are XT shifters worth the extra cost over SLX? What is the difference other than appearance, weight and cost?

Comments

• Worth it, no. Better yes.

The xt shifters feel a lot slicker than the slx and a lot more precise. Obviously you still need to keep the cables looked after.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes i would go for them if you can find the 9 speed ones for a good price as i know the 10spd xt shifters were going for about 55 without cables on merlin site.

i was using an alivio shifter and went straight to an xt shifter recently after it decided to break and there is loads of difference, so smooth shifting.

i'm guessing the xtr shifters must be the best thing since sliced bread then for the price they cost ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I guess Shimano have discontinued 9 speed SLX & XT. They are getting harder to find and more expensive. Best I can find is 9 speed XT for £66
  • bite the bullet and upgrade to 10 speed, be cheaper in the long run i reckon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im not replacing a new mech, cassette and chain to save a few pounds on shifters. I have got 10 speed on my other bike and can't tell the difference.
  • Why didn't you change when sorting all those parts? not saying 10 speed is miles better or anything, just more available and that 9 speed will be harder to come by and more expensive as time goes by.

Personally i'd get the best you can find for now, and next time swap over just for availability sake,
  • You can buy single RH shifters you know? Personally if defo staying 9spd, I'd look for an XTR M970 secondhand.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    bite the bullet and upgrade to 10 speed, be cheaper in the long run i reckon.

i did this but the 9spd kit i was using needed replacement anyway.

have a look out on ebay for a 2nd hand xtr shifter seen a few go for not much money or just look out for a right hand shifter maybe, do bike discount. de not have any in stock ?
  • Changed to xt 9 speed shifters and the metal lever feels much better than the plastic ones I've encountered, 2 years untouched still work fine too (unlike the SRAM stuff it replaced) !
  • Xtr feels otherworldly... As does xx1.

I'm certainly not going to try and justify the price increase but it is on another level (one that you simply don't need) over the 2nd rung kit