Serrated/ Toothed brake calliper washer

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Is it ok to use serrated calliper washers on a carbon fork (2014 Defy). I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on the web, some says it ok and some say no. I fitted some Tiagra 4600 callipers (which had no washers included :x ) to the Defy frame set today.

I managed to find 2 washers, a smooth and a serrated. I had to use to the serrated on the rear as it wouldn't stay centred. Used the smooth on the front and it seems to be keeping itself relatively central. Just wondering if I really need another serrated.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Both my carbon bikes have serrated washers. Not quite sure what people who worry about them think is going to happen. I wouldn't ride a bike which would collapse on account of a tiny serrated washer!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    The fork crown will be alloy not carbon so no probs using the washers if needed :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    Used the smooth on the front and it seems to be keeping itself relatively central. Just wondering if I really need another serrated.
    As mentioned the serrated washers aren't especially damaging but if not needed I prefer not to use them going for a smooth washer instead. The reason being that if the brakes get a hard knock twisting them out of position the serrated washer can chew up the surfaces slightly. Again, not a big worry so if serrated are needed to keep the brakes in place I would certainly use them.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Thanks for the advice.