Beach side Restaurant Gets Battered in Storm

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Some of you may have seen on the news today, the Marine Restaurant at Milford on Sea, which got hammered by the Friday night storm.

I live just 10 mins from Milford which has taken a pounding over the last few weeks, to the extent that the spit, which is a coastal defence had been quite severely damaged. The restaurant is situated at the very start of the spit and the management would have already experienced the extreme weather of this winter.

Knowing the location I find it highly irresponsible of them to have opened on Friday night, as it not only put customers and staff at risk, but unnecessarily exposed the emergency services to danger.

article_img.jpg

image_update_img.jpg
Pleased that all concerned are safe and sound.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The restaurant being open didn't put customers at risk, the customers put themselves at risk by choosing to go there. People have to take responsibility for their actions.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    I do agree with Matt. Whilst it may have been sensible for the restaurant not to open, the punters chose to go there. I wonder how many went because they thought they'd get a good view of a stormy sea? A very good view as it turned out. Pictures like this annoy me:
    _72938186_dorset.jpg
    What is that pratt in orange doing there. Presumably they's expect to be rescued if the wave hurt them. There are many other pictures of huge waves crashing over sea defences, with loads of people stood there watching. Yes it looks spectacular, but water can be bloody dangerous.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That'll teach the prat in the Range Rover to drive on the beach :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,868
    arran77 wrote:

and the grannies in the Peugeot and Volvo
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I do agree with Matt. Whilst it may have been sensible for the restaurant not to open, the punters chose to go there. I wonder how many went because they thought they'd get a good view of a stormy sea? A very good view as it turned out. Pictures like this annoy me:
    _72938186_dorset.jpg
    What is that pratt in orange doing there. Presumably they's expect to be rescued if the wave hurt them. There are many other pictures of huge waves crashing over sea defences, with loads of people stood there watching. Yes it looks spectacular, but water can be bloody dangerous.

Did you not see the pictures a few weeks ago of a guy holding his kid up so she could see over a wall as waves came over the top, they were truly shocking especially when you could see it was on a walkway with water on both sides.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... ly-2983719
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Some of you may have seen on the news today, the Marine Restaurant at Milford on Sea, which got hammered by the Friday night storm.

I live just 10 mins from Milford which has taken a pounding over the last few weeks, to the extent that the spit, which is a coastal defence had been quite severely damaged. The restaurant is situated at the very start of the spit and the management would have already experienced the extreme weather of this winter.

Knowing the location I find it highly irresponsible of them to have opened on Friday night, as it not only put customers and staff at risk, but unnecessarily exposed the emergency services to danger.

article_img.jpg

image_update_img.jpg
    Pleased that all concerned are safe and sound.

Bet it's the first time that black Chelsea tractor has been off tarmac
  • veronese68
    Did you not see the pictures a few weeks ago of a guy holding his kid up so she could see over a wall as waves came over the top, they were truly shocking especially when you could see it was on a walkway with water on both sides.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... ly-2983719
    Yes, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it. I don't mind if some idiot has a death wish. I get annoyed when they drag other people in with them.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    The restaurant being open didn't put customers at risk, the customers put themselves at risk by choosing to go there. People have to take responsibility for their actions.
    Being valentines day I dare say the tables had been booked well in advance, while I agree people ultimately have to take responsibility for their actions some must lie with the restaurant.

No doubt deposits will have been paid, you don't turn up lose your deposit, restaurant cancels you get your cash back.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    Being valentines day I dare say the tables had been booked well in advance, while I agree people ultimately have to take responsibility for their actions some must lie with the restaurant.

No doubt deposits will have been paid, you don't turn up lose your deposit, restaurant cancels you get your cash back.

I've never once had to pay a deposit for a restaurant.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

NEVER, Honestly, I don't believe that. I don't know if anyone paid a deposit but if it was a desirable venue I would think they did.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    i've never paid one

never

restaurant asking for a deposit is a sure way to make me say "bye-eee", if they don't trust me, why should i trust them?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattC59
    edited February 2014
    MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

NEVER, Honestly, I don't believe that. I don't know if anyone paid a deposit but if it was a desirable venue I would think they did.

No, never, I've never even heard of it.

Actually, I tell a lie, Gidley Park wanted a deposit for their lunch service.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    matthew h wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

and the grannies in the Peugeot and Volvo

You would have thought they could have found a better place to go dogging during the storms.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    MattC59 wrote:

The one I used to work at would occasionally ask for deposits on large bookings. Fair enough IMO, for groups of 20-40 people, where a cancellation would cost the business real money.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    anyway, back to the topic, for some reason i had visions of a batter covered restaurant, with chips of course

question is, would they be nice crispy chips, or the nasty oily soggy ones
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    I would think everything was pretty soggy, not just the chips.
    I too have never paid a deposit for a restaurant. Frank must go to posh restaurants.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I do think that the restaurant has to bear some responsibility. I imagine they had a fair few calls from diners asking "are you still going to be open?" Being that it was, it would give the undecided punter a certain level of confidence. It does beg the question though, of just what it would take for a restaurant to voluntarily shut on Valentines night, if Friday wasn't 'it'.

But, largely, i agree that people have got to take it on the chin a bit.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I blame the restaurant for letting them take their cars......

Should have stated boats only.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.