Halfords a no go, please help

ricgreen
ricgreen Posts: 103
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
http://www.mtbe.co.uk/goto.php?wtg=http ... caliber_7/

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 5280,d.d2k

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 5280,d.d2k

Ive just been to halfords and was going to order the Boardman MTB comp thanks to all you guys helping me choose over last few weeks.
Gutted to find out my works cycle to work scheme does not use Halfords .argh !!!!
Ive been to some local bike shops today and ive put the following bikes together £500-600
Please advise on which you think is best all.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your links are broken. Except for the Canondale, which is not great.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ricgreen
    cooldad wrote:
    Your links are broken. Except for the Canondale, which is not great.

Try the Links again, should be working now ?
  • cooldad
    Did you actually click on them?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ricgreen
    cooldad wrote:

Yes I have clicked on them and there ok
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ricgreen wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yes I have clicked on them and they're ok
    Fixed that for you :wink:
    Two links work but just show photo's of Clown-wheeled bikes and no specs the Trek link no worky :roll:
  • ricgreen
    ibbo68 wrote:
    ricgreen wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yes I have clicked on them and they're ok
    Fixed that for you :wink:
    Two links work but just show photo's of Clown-wheeled bikes and no specs the Trek link no worky :roll:

Better now :-):-)
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't spend my money on either of them (why two links to the same bike?) but if you must have a 29er, and one of those, the Trek.

I'd carry on looking.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ricgreen
    cooldad wrote:
    I wouldn't spend my money on either of them (why two links to the same bike?) but if you must have a 29er, and one of those, the Trek.

I'd carry on looking.

The same link twice is because im useless at trying to post links, so please excuse my inferior computer skills.

Thanks for the advice, what Iwould be good is what you would spend the money on if your not impressed with the bikes I have posted.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    As far as I'm aware, based on other threads, Decathlon accepts most schemes, and therefore the logical choice - given you had decided upon either the Rockrider 8.1 or the Boardman - would surely be to head over to Decathlon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ricgreen wrote:
    The same link twice is because im useless at trying to post links, so please excuse my inferior computer skills.
    Open page, highlight address in the address bar, ctrl+C, go to post in here and ctrl+V, how much easier do you want it to be?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Hardrock really is awful.

As has been said above, a hybrid would seem to tick all your boxes.

However, if it must be a mountain bike, the the Rockrider 8.1 would be more than enough for your needs, and capable of much more should you want to start trying more off road riding in the future.
  • ricgreen
    The Rookie wrote:
    ricgreen wrote:
    Open page, highlight address in the address bar, ctrl+C, go to post in here and ctrl+V, how much easier do you want it to be?

Its not so easy rookie when its all done on my mobile phone,
    My computers out for repair, so your comment how much easier do you want it, is a touch wrong if you dont know the circumstances.
    Thanks for the sarcasm thou !!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what phone you have, but it's the same action (using the select and copy then paste) on both a Samsung Galaxy and iphone, just as easy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cookeh
    Who cares, so s/he made an error posting some links - how petty.

Ricegreen, have you seen if your scheme is valid at Decathlon - the Rockrider is, as I said before, the logical choice given your earlier conclusions.
  • ricgreen
    edited February 2014
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure what phone you have, but it's the same action (using the select and copy then paste) on both a Samsung Galaxy and iphone, just as easy!

Well it is a motorola, and dont worry im a halfwit so thanks for your help, I may have messed the links up but it was obvious which bikes I was trying to link.
    Wont be asking for your help in future cos all i get is digs, some people dont realize what they say half the time
  • ricgreen
    Cookeh wrote:

Ricegreen, have you seen if your scheme is valid at Decathlon - the Rockrider is, as I said before, the logical choice given your earlier conclusions.

Thanks Cookeh, yes my scheme does cover decathalon so I am just on my way to the coventry one now to see it in the flesh
    Will let you know how I get on
    Thanks
  • ricgreen
    ricgreen wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Thanks Cookeh, yes my scheme does cover decathalon so I am just on my way to the coventry one now to see it in the flesh
    Will let you know how I get on
    Thanks

Cookeh. I thought the Rockrider 8.1 was very good and great value, however the appearance of the bike is dull and does not jump out at me. I have found 3 bikes that do take my fancy, tell me your thoughts

http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/m1 ... _27_5_2014

http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/m1 ... og_26_2014

http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/m1 ... ntion_2013
  • They are decent bikes. Arguably not as well specced as the Rockrider but more than good enough for your stated purpose. Pretty basic fork and would benefit from an upgrade if you move onto more off road stuff.

If aesthetics are really that important to you then I'd go for the attention IF it fits.

Put some slick / road tyres on too if you will be riding mainly road.

Have you considered the hybrid route as that may suit your needs better?
  • ricgreen
    chrisw333 wrote:
    They are decent bikes. Arguably not as well specced as the Rockrider but more than good enough for your stated purpose. Pretty basic fork and would benefit from an upgrade if you move onto more off road stuff.

If aesthetics are really that important to you then I'd go for the attention IF it fits.

Put some slick / road tyres on too if you will be riding mainly road.

Have you considered the hybrid route as that may suit your needs better?

Thanks chrisw333, I did consider the hybrid to start with but after speaking to different people I was swayed back to MTB
    Both could probs do the job to start, but I can see my off road biking expanding
  • If your off roading will expand, then the fork on the RR 8.1 should really swing it over the looks of the Cube to be honest. It is the single most important component on a bike and whilst I'm not an expert on forks, I believe that the recon silver on the RR is substantially better than the XC28 on the Cubes.

But the Cubes will be ok for road, canals etc. and is decent spec other than the very basic fork.
    (please bear in mind if you do decide the fork isn't good enough in the future, you'll prob be looking at a c£200 upgrade to get up to the level of the RR fork)
  • Cookeh
    The XC28 is, quite frankly, a crap fork. Better than some XCM/XCT/XCR Suntour forks, but just barely.

Looks really shouldn't be a huge factor - at any budget. The Rockrider has a better spec across the board and is far better equipped should you decide to take a jaunt off-road. As Chris said, you would have to invest at least £200 at a later date to get a fork on the same level and thats simply not worth it.

You can personalise the Rockrider by swapping bars/stems/grips/pedals/seatposts/etc etc etc to give it more of an impact aesthetically but its not really necessary.
  • ricgreen
    I today have been and looked and tried all 4 bikes below
    The Rockrider as youve told me has the best spec
    The Cube analog 26 & 27.5 although not specced as well as the 8.1, I do have a soft spot for I know you may not agree but more of a wow factor. Cube Attention also nice.
    Got to decide whether I go with the slight drop in spec, for what im gonna use the bike for can I get away with it
    Or do I go with Rockrider which does not wow me but the spec is slightly better
    Prehaps I should do a vote
    Lets here everyones vote on which bike, just a simple vote

Rockrider or Cube analog 26, Cube Analog 27.5, Cube Attention.
    Simple.
    Let the vote begin once I had 20-30 votes that will be it
    Thanks links on previous post on this thread

Rockrider 8.1 £549
    Cube analog 26 2014 £579
    Cube analog 27.5 2014 £599
    Cube Attention 2013 £579
  • This is only going to go one way I'm afraid!

Rockrider
  • cooldad
    +Potato
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ricgreen
    cooldad wrote:
    +Potato

What ?
    Come again I take it thats a vote for the rockrider 8.1
  • cooldad
    Yep. Google I can count to potato.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    Rockrider is cheaper, has a better specced and better enables you should you decide to start mtbing at trail centres or local singletracks etc.

Cooldad is also of that opinion, but deems it to be a very obvious choice, hence his belittling.
  • cooldad
    Cookeh wrote:
    Rockrider is cheaper, has a better specced and better enables you should you decide to start mtbing at trail centres or local singletracks etc.

Cooldad is also of that opinion, but deems it to be a very obvious choice, hence his belittling.

Belittling?
    Nonsense, I've recommended the Rockrider in dozens of threads, best at the money in my opinion.

The 'potato' is a forum meme going back a few years, as in +1 (potato). From the somewhat nasty meme that went round a few years ago.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-can-count-to-potato

Here we just used it to agree with people.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

Bless you my children.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    And I do agree with you, having done the same.

I took it that you meant the original meaning of the meme, hence the use of 'belittling' - obviously not having been around here long enough to know the forums connotation of it. Apologies for not being so wizened as yourself and so for the mistake on my part.

But yeah, Rockrider, and f*ck aesthetics.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I always wondered where the "+ potato" in-joke came from on here, now I know.