How to CLEAN BB bearings

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Truvativ GXP BB with what I think are sealed bearings. I have removed cranks etc and dust seals ready to re-grease. But what can I use the clean all the old stuff and the grit out? Can I use GT85 or will this leave a residue that will react with the new grease? Ideally I want to do this without taking the BB off the bike
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    wash them out with white spirit - from B&Q

repack with grease and replace seals.
  • should I leave it for a while after using the whit spirit before greasing or does it evaporate pretty quickly?
  • Asked this in another post but only got a short answer. I am trying to clean out my BB bearings before repacking. I have to do this whilst the BB is still on my bike, which is on a work stand in my garage.

Trying to do this tonight so I can ride tomorrow
    Only have basic things around the house like GT85, washing liquid (for de-greasing maybe)
    Don't have a BB tool

So what is the best way to remove the dirt and old grease, and is the anything I can use without going out to buy extra stuff like alcohol/special solvents etc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What model bottom bracket?
  • Truvativ GXP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably not worth doing anything with, just get new......grit inside means either the seals are wrecked or the bearings are already failing anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.