Power Meters

dork_knight
dork_knight Posts: 405
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello All,

I'm looking at putting some cash away to purchase some power meters during Spring, I believe I would be looking at two different power meters to save changing between bikes;

Bike 1; Orbea with Campag Ultra Torque (Used approx 6 times per week),
Bike 2; Trek with Shimano 175mm Cranks (Used approx once a week for Club Runs etc),
Bike 3; Cervelo with FSA 172.5mm Cranks (Summer/Sportive Bike)

The Cervelo is the least used bike so I'm not really concerned about the PM situation at the moment, I would particularly like to keep tubulars on this bike so I'm leaning away from the PowerTap idea and switching between the Cervelo & Trek.

Now I'm pretty much mechanically inept, touch of an elephant as my mate says, so with that in mind I'm thinking:

Orbea Aqua ~ power2max Type S Rotor 3D with a BB86
Trek ~ Stages Ultegra

The thing that's screwing me up at the moment is the thought of the Trek & Cervelo with the Cervelo being the better fit with the 172.5mm cranks, so I'm not too sure what to aim for;

Trek ~ Change crankset to Shimano 172.5mm and shorten the stem for Stages, as well as;
Cervelo ~ Change FSA Crankset at a later date to Shimano if mileage increases to change Stages between bikes

Any ideas or input on what might be the best options when trying to come in around the £1,700 mark?

Cheers...
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Get a Powertap.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    @£1700 get two powertaps, one for training one for special perhaps built with a tub rim. Then you've got a spare if one has to be serviced and or you can keep one for trainer duties as well.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Power2Max now do a campagnolo ultratorque power meter.
  • Something that I didn't consider, can you use a Shimano Cassette without issue with Campag or are there certain things to take in to account?

It would certainly make sense going the PowerTap route if I could change cassettes to swap between the bikes.

I'll also take a look at the Campag power2max FatTed.

Cheers

EDIT: I think the power2max Campag option is off the table due to the cost.
  • Something that I didn't consider, can you use a Shimano Cassette without issue with Campag or are there certain things to take in to account?

It would certainly make sense going the PowerTap route if I could change cassettes to swap between the bikes.

If they're both 11 speed then yes... if they are 10 speed then no.
    However, you can get the Power tap and two freehubs, which you will swap accordingly. I seem to recall you can swap the freehub on the PT without even removing the cassette
    left the forum March 2023
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you only use one of your bikes for club runs then that bike really doesn't need a power meter. All it would tell you is that club runs are crap training and you spend half the ride soft pedalling.

I'd say buy a single P2M for your Orbea.
    More problems but still living....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    another option would be to go for garmin vector (assuming you're ok with look keo compatible pedals), then you can easily move them from bike to bike if you want - you do need the ability to use a pedal spanner correctly :)

otherwise as above, pm on the orbea
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

If they're both 11 speed then yes... if they are 10 speed then no.
    However, you can get the Power tap and two freehubs, which you will swap accordingly. I seem to recall you can swap the freehub on the PT without even removing the cassette

I can confirm Ugo is correct here. I can take the whole free hub and cassette off my Powertap in one. If you had a Campag one you could change over in a matter of seconds.
  • The PowerTap and an additional relevant freehub really seems to be a no brainer, I'll have a look at some YouTube videos and the manual for how to change them over.

Thank you for the info everyone.
  • sungod wrote:
    another option would be to go for garmin vector (assuming you're ok with look keo compatible pedals), then you can easily move them from bike to bike if you want - you do need the ability to use a pedal spanner correctly :)

otherwise as above, pm on the orbea

+1 on the Garmin Vectors. Great piece of kit, as long as the torque is right and you enjoy taking skin off your knuckles!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I remember when I got my PT upgraded 4 yrs ago and it came with the easily removable free hub, it made putting my disc covers on / removing them a doddle!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • You just take off the end cap and pull the freehub off don't you - cassette and all intact? I think it's as easy as that.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep take wheel off, take skewer out and out it comes!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach