How to insert gear cable ferrule into shifter ?

maltloaf_df
maltloaf_df Posts: 118
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

As soon as my frame turns up, I'll be duing my first bike build. In the meantime I've been experimenting with the bits I've got, including installing the gear cables into the (5600) 105 shifters.

I can't see for the life of me how you stop the ferrule from pulling out of the shifter hood. I can't see any clamp or screw or anything. If someone could enlighten me I would be very happy.

In the pic, I've cut a short length of outer (to experiment with) and attached a ferrule, pushed the inner through from the other side of the lever and then through the ferrule/outer. I checked this against my bike which has Tiagra shifters and the ferrule seems to be solid so I don't think it's just the force of the cable holding it in place.

Help me oh bike workshop gurus !!

Many thanks,

Kevin.

ferrule.JPG

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The stop is on the frame.

And it just stays there with magic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply.

Nothing holds it in place other than the bend of the outer cable pushing it in ? Is that right ?
  • nicklouse
    The stop on the frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Please excuse my ignorance, I see how the outer goes to the adjuster on the downtube but I can't see how that stops it pullung out of the shifter ?

Thanks again,

Kevin
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you are having trouble grasping this, then I question the wisdom of you carrying out your own bike build.

Once installed completly the other end will sit in the frame stop, and the inner will take up the slack not allowing enough movement for the outers to come out. If you install the cables with so much slack that the outer can be pulled out, I assure you you gears will not change correctly
  • nicklouse
    Please excuse my ignorance, I see how the outer goes to the adjuster on the downtube but I can't see how that stops it pullung out of the shifter ?

Thanks again,

Kevin
    Ok I put this to you.

How does an accerelertor cable work?

Stop looking at part of the system and look at the whole system.

But to answer your question. The inner cable. But TBH you did not ask a question there did you. You made a stamens and put a ? On the end. ;)
  • Thank you.

I like to know how things work, hence building a bike. I'm capable of doing all of the jobs involved (I have been in engineering since 1989), All I needed was to be assured I wasn't missing something simple. Sometimes the most obvious things are easy to miss !

I research, experiment, try (and sometimes fail) but I always learn and succeed in the end :)

Thank you for the replies guys.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Thank you.

I like to know how things work, hence building a bike. I'm capable of doing all of the jobs involved (I have been in engineering since 1989), All I needed was to be assured I wasn't missing something simple. Sometimes the most obvious things are easy to miss !

I research, experiment, try (and sometimes fail) but I always learn and succeed in the end :)

Thank you for the replies guys.

:shock: It is a bowden cable - you have been in engineering for nearly a quarter of a century and you don't know how they work?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    :shock: It is a bowden cable - you have been in engineering for nearly a quarter of a century and you don't know how they work?

Lol, wonderful!

Personally I pefer magic.
  • I'll not apologise for trying to learn.

I'm mainly an electrical engineer not mechanical although have some history with both and I'm never satisfied with just assuming how things work or just accepting that they do. I have to find out how and why.

I didn't expect such a hostile response but I'll learn there too.

Expect more laughable questions as my build continues ;-)
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    DesWeller wrote:

Lol, wonderful!

Personally I pefer magic.

It is quite remarkable how often people ask daft questions, then claim to be the modern day Isambard Kingdom Brunel, never fails to amaze, then you always get the story changer, i.e. here we have morphed from an engineer to an electrician in a attempt to save face
  • I have no face to save. I'll happily admit my shortcomings. If you want to know anything about satellite communications including the associated mechanical systems, electronic or electrical engineering then I'm your man. I'm happy to admit I've never heard of a Bowden cable before yesterday but now I do it will stick. Brunel I ain't. But I am also not clueless, I was just after a simple question to a simple answer and I thought the knowledgeable people here would willing to help. I needed a little clarification to the original reply. That's all.

I will say how much it amazes me how quickly people join in a the flaming of a new boy. Very welcoming.
This discussion has been closed.