Mysterious grinding on rear wheel (new wheel & freewheel)

nibnob21
nibnob21 Posts: 207
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hello,

I've recently bought a new rear wheel for my '70s Carlton racer and also a new freewheel. I gave the freewheel a light oiling with just some standard multipurpose oil before fitting it and put some copper grease on the threaded part of the hub.

I haven't taken the bike out yet but from having the bike upside down on the floor and pedaling it sounds very rough. A metal on metal rough grinding noise. The axle turns ok by hand and there isn't any play in the bearings. I thought the issue was with my old freewheel, hence buying a new one, but it is just the same.

Any ideas what it could be? Is it likely there hasn't been enough grease put in the hub by the wheel manufacturer? Or could it be they have over-tightened the locknuts? Or does the freewheel need a more oil in it? I bought a new front wheel at the same time (same wheel as the rear) and the hub runs nice and smoothly so it seems a bit odd the rear isn't the same.

Thanks.

Comments

• You might have overtightened the locknuts... cup cone bearings can be a right PITA to get exactly right
    left the forum March 2023
  • nibnob21
    You might have overtightened the locknuts... cup cone bearings can be a right PITA to get exactly right

I haven't touched them. They're just as they are from the manufacturer. It's the fact that the new freewheel didn't change things that's telling me it's to do with the hub. Don't have any cone spanners either. I'll see if I can carefully loosen it with regular ones.
  • nibnob21 wrote:
    You might have overtightened the locknuts... cup cone bearings can be a right PITA to get exactly right

I haven't touched them. They're just as they are from the manufacturer. It's the fact that the new freewheel didn't change things that's telling me it's to do with the hub. Don't have any cone spanners either. I'll see if I can carefully loosen it with regular ones.

Buy them you'll need them anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Does it only make the noise when pedalling? If it does, then look to the chain or bottom bracket bearings.
  • nibnob21
    Me-109 wrote:
    Does it only make the noise when pedalling? If it does, then look to the chain or bottom bracket bearings.

You can hear it when pedaling backwards too a bit...which is the confusing thing.

It didn't do it before I got the new wheel so I wouldn't say it's the bottom bracket. Plus the noise is very clearly coming from the rear.

I may just oil everything up a bit more, loosen the rear wheel bearings slightly and take it for a short, light ride tomorrow to see if anything feels and sounds amiss.
  • does it do it when freewheeling????

I'd question the old chain on new freehub first.
  • nibnob21
    does it do it when freewheeling????

I'd question the old chain on new freehub first.

Yeah it does a bit, but it's louder when pedaling. Think I'm going to undo the locknuts, pop in some extra grease and put it back together. And I'll give the new freewheel another good oiling too.

I don't think it's the chain from the noise. And it was fine before I got new bits:

Old freewheel and old wheel - wasn't noisy
    Cleaned old freewheel and new wheel - noisy
    New freewheel and new wheel - noisy.
  • nibnob21
    Just reoiled the freewheel, took the rear hub apart, redistributed the bearing grease and put it all back together. Must say it seems better now. The only real apparent noise now seems to be the chain and pulleys on the rear derailleur. Pretty normal I suppose.