New Wheel time?

AdamJ
AdamJ Posts: 63
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have had my domane 2.0 for about 16 months now, and I reckon done about 3000 miles on it. Im unsure whether I should get these issues fixed or just go ahead and buy some new wheels depending on the costs. Please have a quick look at this vid I made to show the issue with the front wheel.
anyone technically minded enough to know if the front wheel could be causing a clicky tappy sound at irregular intervals when im riding/freewheeling over 18/20 mph? This was the main issue, as I was concerned it might have been something to do with the forks although its very hard to place where the sound actually comes from.

Spinning the wheel while holding the QR off the bike and it spins forever like it should but i can feel a tiny knock quite frequently, cant hear anything out of place though
back rim looks a bit worn, too much rear brake action I guess! On a side note, at the end of the vid you can see my wheel sits a bit to the left, very close to the frame. Im not sure if this is just my wheel not being sat in the slots properly, but no biggie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9RIx8R5aQ#t=18

aaand while I am here....

would these be a decent enough upgrade? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... lset-2013/

I am touring for a week in Slovakia in June, and bike shops there are hard to come by, so I would ideally want a robust set of wheels which are also worth actually upgrading from in terms of weight and performance from the bontragers so I don't affect my performance when I go on club rides over here.

Comments

• bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    It's the hub bearings. When you close the quick release you're adding a little more tension to the hub and I can see it's causing resistance. Find a guide online and undo the hub, clean it out, repack with grease and correctly set the bearing preset. Will probably fix the problem.
  • AdamJ
    thanks for the reply

Im not very confident in my maintenance skills, would it be more cost effective for a bike shop to fix this problem? Im torn between that or buying a new wheelset for about £130-150
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AdamJ wrote:
    thanks for the reply

Im not very confident in my maintenance skills, would it be more cost effective for a bike shop to fix this problem? Im torn between that or buying a new wheelset for about £130-150

3000 miles is nothing - if you get new wheels everytime you do 3000 miles you'll be wasting a lot of money you don't need to.

It depends if you think a tenner or so is more or less than £130-£150. But you should have a go yourself - if it doesn't work, it won't make any difference to how much the bike shop charges to fix it. You'll never get confident in maintenance skills unless you actually have a go at the maintenance! It's not hard as long as you do what the online guides say.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AdamJ
    A quick update for anyone who this might benefit. I let the pro's have a look, and with regreased bearings and £14 lighter im back on the road a couple of days later and running smooth as silk.