Handbuilt Race wheels ?

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,045
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
OK I'm sure there are threads on this already, I know there are a few well respected builders on here who have been good giving out their advice on this stuff, but I can't find any relevant threads so hopefully someone can advise.

I'm after some new race wheels, campag 11, purely for road racing.
-Thinking of tubulars, I've had them before and can get on with the extra faff.
-As most races are in the dry and in this country you aren't looking at alpine descents I'm thinking of all carbon rims for the reduced weight.
-And finally I'm thinking of going with the trend for wider rims and maybe running 25mm tubs on them for a bit more confidence stuffing it into a corner on rough tarmac. Not sure whether I'd want something deeper section or not - deepest I've run are Corima aeros (48mm?) and I wouldn't want anything deeper than that but some aero advantage might be useful as I'm not likely to win a bunch sprint.
I'm 12.5 stone on a good day, a bit more early season.

Anyone any comments, sound reasonable ? has anything like this built up? Recommend any suitable rims etc ? What kind of money would I be looking at?

Thanks
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• These are probably what you want

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/wh133ul-2024.htm

700 USD for the pair, once you factor in duty etc, you are probably looking at 550 quid for the pair or so... which is less than one Enve or Zipp rim.
    Once you get them built you are probably on a 800 pounds bill, give or take

Otherwise Planet X might have something significantly cheaper, but also deeper
    left the forum March 2023
  • With the rims linked to there, and looking at that price range, might be less hassle to get Wheelsmith to build you something up.
  • Agree...

Or the OP could consider alloy with these (which is what I would build for myself if I was in his position... :wink: )

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/hed-belgium ... r-rim.html
  • Ugo
    Was thinking if getting some PX 50mm clinchers (no logo) but would like to go hand built route. What would you recommend to achieve a similar build? Not bothered particularly if its carbon or Alu apart from Alu brake track. Sorry if this has already been done to death. There are so many wheel posts its difficult to actually make sense of it!!
  • Ugo
    Was thinking if getting some PX 50mm clinchers (no logo) but would like to go hand built route. What would you recommend to achieve a similar build? Not bothered particularly if its carbon or Alu apart from Alu brake track. Sorry if this has already been done to death. There are so many wheel posts its difficult to actually make sense of it!!

You can't... Planet X don't sell their carbon clincher rims.
    They are giving up selling their carbon tubular rims as well... it's against their interest, to be honest

Any other route will be significantly more expensive...
  • Sorry for the thread high jack I'm more and more leaning towards a set of tubular wheels and I like the look of the hed c2 rim but after looking around they seem hard to find in the uk, who supplies and builds them apart from hed?
  • reme-luke wrote:
    Sorry for the thread high jack I'm more and more leaning towards a set of tubular wheels and I like the look of the hed c2 rim but after looking around they seem hard to find in the uk, who supplies and builds them apart from hed?

You can buy them from HED UK, who are based in Sheffield (just follow the link on the HED website) and have them built by your local builder/shop or I know Just Riding Along build HED rims, but I am not sure they have the tubs

Of course some might argue they are nothing but an overpriced version of the popular Velocity Major Tom... :wink:

EDIT: one thing to remember is that in the case of tubulars, wide rims want big tyres... 23 mm rims won't take 22-23 mm tyres and the Pave' are probably the smallest tyre you can fit
  • Thanks for that Ugo. So something like the Ambrosio nemesis rim with it being 21mm in width would take 23mm tyres ok?
  • reme-luke wrote:
    Thanks for that Ugo. So something like the Ambrosio nemesis rim with it being 21mm in width would take 23mm tyres ok?

Yes, Nemesis will take any road tubular
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There is u.k distribution for 50mm deep 20mm wide Gigantex carbon rims in 20H/24H. So I personally would use these. I certainly am using these when my Royce hubs turn up next week (I hope). Certainly alot cheaper that that bikehubstore rim.

There is the Kinlin TB25 for a 24H/28H tubular build cheap rims too and the major tom but as ugo points out it will need a Pave 27mm tub at least. They come in 20H and 24H drillings as well if you are light enough.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • There is u.k distribution for 50mm deep 20mm wide Gigantex carbon rims in 20H/24H. So I personally would use these. I certainly am using these when my Royce hubs turn up next week (I hope). Certainly alot cheaper that that bikehubstore rim.

There is the Kinlin TB25 for a 24H/28H tubular build cheap rims too and the major tom but as ugo points out it will need a Pave 27mm tub at least. They come in 20H and 24H drillings as well if you are light enough.

What would you recommend for a 45/50mm build either Alu or carbon/Alu brake track.
    Tempted to go with no logo PX but would rather go hand built even if it costs a little more. Clinchers ideally though as I would only use them for racing and train on other wheels I may be tempted by tubular - though I have no knowledge of tubs at all!
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thanks Ugo.

Cycle Clinic - yeah 25mm tubs is about as far as I would want to go.
  • cycleclinic
    If you punture in a race your race is over. Given tubular rims are lighter e.g gigantex 50mm tubs are 435-445g which is a similar weight to the 25mm deep alloy Kinlin TB25 (430g) then tubular carbon wins if you want a aerodynamic wheelset. 50mm aluminum rims do not exist.

I ride tubulars alot now they are no trouble, gluing is easy. My race bike will be using these gigantex rims (I might splash out on some ENVE just to give them a go but at £1000 and that trade I am not so sure) and conti competion tubs. Gigantex rims have no decals. A 50mm clincher rim is going to weigh around 480-500g.

For racing I think a carbon brake track will be fine if you a competent rider. I do not trust any carbon/alu rims. If you are unsure then use an alloy tub rim but there is not much choice and the Kinlin is the best option as it is light, stiff and comes in lower spoke counts.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Two conversations going on here but I agree - for a pure race wheel full carbon tubulars makes sense if you are spending decent money on a performance wheel.
  • cycleclinic
    Yes and figure on £600+ for a carbon build from a wheel builder. A TB25 tubular build could cost you less than £300 with some novatec A171/F172 hubs.