Mounting tyres on new rims

harkmeadow
harkmeadow Posts: 193
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Just got some new wheels. Never had serious issues mounting tyres before, sometimes bit stiff with certain brands, and a c24 tubeless wheel was bit of a bitch.... But bit of elbow grease and tyre lever sorted it.

Normally use gp4000s no issues.

New rims absolute night mare. Had to use tyre lever just to get the first bead on! No way second bead would fit, short by about 12 inches.

Vittoria evos couldn't even get 1st Bead on

The rims do look very shallow to me. Thoughts?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What rims. There is always a way to get tyres on. when people bring me hard to fit tyres they may be a bit hard but I always mange quite quickly. It is hard to say how difficult your combo really is.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks. OEM rims. Have sent you PM with so more details.
  • cycleclinic
    The shallow comment mind the key what rim tape are you using. Cloth tape might be a bit too thick. You may need something really thin. Just a moment they are tubeless ready rim no spoke holes. Man they will be tight then.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a pair of Vittoria Open Corsas. I broke two tyre levers trying to get them off my Campag Neutrons (no idea how I got them on in the first place!

The rim is simply too shallow for them. I measured the Vittorias and they turned out to be 6mm in circumference smaller than the Veloflex Masters I put on instead. I call that poor design on the part of the Vittorias but you can get them on slightly deeper rims.

Note - no problems at all with Schwalbe tyres on the Neutrons. The problem is just the Vittorias.

I'll use the Vittorias on other wheels. There's no point using them on the Neutrons - I'd need to be airlifted home if I had a puncture with them on........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Good point, so presumably I don't even need the rim tape as the rim is smooth with no spoke holes
  • cycleclinic
    No you don't need rim tape and that may help alot.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have a pair of Vittoria Open Corsas. I broke two tyre levers trying to get them off my Campag Neutrons (no idea how I got them on in the first place!

The rim is simply too shallow for them. I measured the Vittorias and they turned out to be 6mm in circumference smaller than the Veloflex Masters I put on instead. I call that poor design on the part of the Vittorias but you can get them on slightly deeper rims.

Note - no problems at all with Schwalbe tyres on the Neutrons. The problem is just the Vittorias.

I'll use the Vittorias on other wheels. There's no point using them on the Neutrons - I'd need to be airlifted home if I had a puncture with them on........

Strangely enough, I've got some Vittoria Open Corsas, admittedly older models, which fit really easily on my Neutrons. I can get them on and off without using levers. I found Conti Force/Attack very tight. Michelin Pro 3 Race are middling.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Iv'e had different rubino pro 3 tyres the same trye model, some fairly easy to get on & off others near impossible on the same open pro rims. Most seem to get easier to fit after a couple of times on & off , might be due to them streching as they get older, or everytime im struggling to fit them they get streched abit so after a few puntures they are alot easier to do.