3/4 Day Touring Route in Scotland

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
I am wanting to do a short touring holiday in Scotland with 3 or 4 days of cycling and wondered if anyone could suggest a good route? I was thinking of maybe getting the train to the Glasgow area and then making my way to Fort William, but I am open to any route suggestions. I would be looking to stop in B&Bs rather than camping.

Any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My mate and I fancy this route for this year:

Day 1: Aviemore to Perth over Drumochter
    Day 2: Perth to Glencoe, staying in the KingsHouse
    Day 3: Glencoe back to Aviemore via Loch Laggan

Fingers crossed for the weather! 80-90 miles a day so not too tough. In your case you could start from Perth.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • That sounds like a cracking route. I will look into the logistics of doing that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    If you're in Fort William, take the Oban ferry and ride the A861, in either direction.

Hotels are few and far between (and a little expensive) but the scenery is stunning. An overnight at strontian would be a good choice.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If you want to end up in Fort William i'd avoid the A82 (great scenary but its a busy road). Maybe something like cycle to Gourock from Glasgow (you can avoid busy roads for alot of this as the sustans route there is good once you get out of Glasgow)From there get the ferry to Dunoon go around Cowal penisula to Tignabruich then up Loch Fyne past Otter Ferry to Strachur - head to Inverary and head north there on A819 to you get to Loch Awe then go South West down that to the A816 past Ardfern up to Oban then you can continue north to Fort William

This is not a direct route and takes a few detours in the wrong direction but it is very scenic will have some b+bs and small hotels and alot of quiet roads.

Alternatively you could do some island hopping - you could take in Arran, Islay and Jura from Glasgow and be able to make it back for a return train in 4 days however depending on the time of year you are there (daylight hours and whether the summer timetables are on) it could eat into your cycle time a bit.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    glasgow to aberfoyle and to calendar through QE forest round pitlochry, taking in etape caledonia route?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions, it is much appreciated. I haven't had chance to look at them properly yet but when I do I will re-post.

Cheers.