Strava and turbo/roller sessions.

Hawmaw
Hawmaw Posts: 124
edited February 2014 in Road general
Shoot me down if this has been covered before , I didn't see it.

Whats the general opinion of logging trainer "miles" on Strava ? I've noticed it becoming more common.
I record my turbo sessions but label them as a workout and mark them private. That way I don't record miles when I've not been out the door and I don't bore people by making them public.
I often don't get a chance to go out and ride due to child care duties but I can sit on the turbo and do an hour or two of Sufferfest while in charge of the kids.
It strikes me that folk could bump their miles up significantly and even complete Strava challanges without leaving the house.

Comments

• They're still doing miles aren't they?
    Just that the bike itself is not moving.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Yep , I'm just not sure ...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    getnoticed wrote:
    They're still doing miles aren't they?
    Just that the bike itself is not moving.

Miles on a trainer are irrelevant. Measure your indoor training against time and intensity.
  • Does anyone look at anyone else's Strava rides anyway?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I record my turbo miles on strava and don't see a problem with doing so. The only person I'm competing against is myself and I'm not sure that anyone else is interested. They are pretty tough sessions which I use to supplement my outdoor training not replace it and to get some work in when it would be stoopid to go out. I rarely do more than one hour and record the details of the session so that I can measure progress. I don't think turbo miles count towards strava challenges ...
  • I log mine on strava too, see no issue with it tbh especially as there's an option to tag it as turbo (or indoor trainer) anyway.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Does anyone look at anyone else's Strava rides anyway?

+1

does it matter what other people do?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think my garmin just uploads all of the workouts to strava.
    As you say - the mileage is bobbins on a turbo/rollers.
    Personally I just count the time on a turbo - it seems the best count for turbo sessions.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I put my Turbo sessions on Strava, they are marked as Turbo sessions and dont count towards challenges either.

It is not like it is a competition... As other people I put them on there for my own benefit and to chart progress through the year, months, weeks.

Plus as well the Mileage logged is bobbins as someone put. If I pedalled like that on the road solid for an hour. I think I would be doing a damn sight more miles than it puts down.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    cougie wrote:
    I think my garmin just uploads all of the workouts to strava.
    As you say - the mileage is bobbins on a turbo/rollers.
    Personally I just count the time on a turbo - it seems the best count for turbo sessions.

I count time too. I agree it is more meaningful to distance but it too is largely pointless. I have an ergo trainer. The other night I decided to try a recovery ride (54% of FTP). My heart rate barely rose and you could hardly compare this session to the 2x15 mins at 100% I did a few days before the recovery ride even though both lasted the same duration.

I upload all my rides including indoor and outdoor to Trainingpeaks, Garmin Connect and the WKO software as I like to see everything together. I don't see the point in uploading the indoor rides to Strava as I don't get any benefit from doing so.

It makes me laugh that Radio One are doing a challenge for Sports Relief. Nick Grimshaw is going to ride a stationary trainer for 12 hours and they will be measuring his distance. I have no idea of the equipment he will be using but I suspect he will have it on the wimpiest setting possible. It makes this part of the challenge largely irrelevant - which I guess is quite fitting for him.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    BrandonA wrote:
    It makes me laugh that Radio One are doing a challenge for Sports Relief. Nick Grimshaw is going to ride a stationary trainer for 12 hours and they will be measuring his distance. I have no idea of the equipment he will be using but I suspect he will have it on the wimpiest setting possible. It makes this part of the challenge largely irrelevant - which I guess is quite fitting for him.

Wimpy setting or not - it depends what timescale he's doing this in ... if it's over 12 weeks then it's not a challenge - if it's in the period of 1 day then it's somewhat more of a challenge - 12 hours on a stationary bike is boring to say the least - heck I can't do 1 hour without getting pissed off - yet will quite happily ride around the lanes for hours ...

But yer - "distance" or time is not necessarily the right measure - although I have our turbo "calibrated" so I know what resistance is about the same effort as riding on the flat - at least then the time/distance is indicative.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Unless I have misunderstood his distance will be zero.

Distance (even on the road) is no measure of a challenge. Ride 10,000ft in 50 miles and it will leave you rather more pooped than 100 miles and 2,000 ft.

I upload spin sessions purely because I take my garmin to spin class so that I can monitor my HR. Intensity, "distance" and "speed" are set by the shouty bird at the front. Strava marks them as turbo automatically because my GPS is off.