Rear hub : 142/12 .vs. 142/12 X12

RS300325
RS300325 Posts: 14
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I thinking about upgrading the wheels on my Spark. The rear wheel at the moment has Shimano SLX 142/12 hubs. The wheel I'm looking at has a DT Swiss 240s 142/12 X12 hub, and as I understand it the axle standards are different - X12 axle is tapered whilst the Shimano is uniform.

Is it as simple as modifying the hub using a DT Swiss kit ( HWGXXX0002193C ) here -> http://www.dtswiss.com/Accessories/Conversion-kits ?

I've tried emailing DT Swiss but with no luck, any help or insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    X12 is a Syntace creation/concept, there is a slight taper on the axle but only where the axle clamps/screws into the dropouts, the axle as it runs through the hub is a uniform 12mm from end to end, it does not taper from driver to non drive side or v.v.

While the dimensions are still the same (12x142) they are not cross compatible as each system has different frame fittings, you will have to get a conversion kit from DT, either kit HWGXXX0002193C or HWYXXX0002216S, whichever is applicable to the 240's hub.
  • Thanks Miceden, I hadn't recognised that it is the frames that conform to the differing standards. So do the end caps in the standard 240s have taper, whereas the end caps in the conversion kit have a uniform 12mm internal diameter ?

Apologies if these are obvious questions, its my first foray into wheel upgrades, I expected the standards to be more straightforward!