Ribble Bike Builder purchase Feedback

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Just bought a Ribble Gran Fondo on their bike builder and thought I would post some feedback. Bike arrived in good condition, well packed, huge box, twice as long as the bike. E-mailed a few questions before purchasing which were replied to on the day or the day after. Spec I ordered was spot on as was the set up of the bike. the biggest problem was working out when the bike would be delivered so that I could be in to sign for it. They don't seem to keen to despatch the bike on a particular day of your choice and they use Parcel force 48 hour service which means it could arrive 1,2 or 3 days after despatch. they e-mail you on the day they despatch so you know it will be arriving fairly soon. You can't track the bike during transit, there is no tracking number supplied. Mine arrived two days after despatch. If you are not home to sign for it they take it back to the depot and you have to go on line to book a redelivery date. You can pick it up from the depot, but you would need a big van. the box wouldn't fit in a car.if you want a weekday redelivery it is free, but it will cost you £12 for a Saturday delivery. Most difficult spec problem I found was getting the right handlebar stem length. They range from 70mm to 130mm. I went for 110mm but found it was not quite long enough so have had to move the saddle back by a couple of cms. I'm 6 feet 2 inches so went for the biggest frame 58cms. Top tube length is fine, but if you like a high top tube which is close to the saddle you wont get it. Not sure why they don't do a 62cm or a 64cm frame, they do for the Audeux winter bike. It took me a couple of hours to put saddle stem and saddle on, pedals, tighten all nuts and bolts, put bottle holders on, flip the handle bar stem for extra height on the bars etc. Very easy. the only tool needed is an Alen key set. Going for a first ride on sunday. I went for a 105 compact chain set with an 11-28 cassette for those surrey hills. Will post results of ride on Sunday.

Comments