new wheelset needed

jongrubb
jongrubb Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi.
My bike is a Trek 1.2 2013. Its my first road bike and I've just clocked up my first 1000 commuting miles.
last week my rear rim got dented beyond repair and i now am faced with having to buy a new one.
My current wheels are the ones that came with the bike. Bontrager Approved Aluminium with bladed spokes. 20 spokes on the front, 24 on the rear.
I have tried to find a new Bontrager rim alone with no joy but in my searching i have found that the Shimano R501 30mm bladed.

Can i ask if this is a good replacement?
I don't mind having something of the same quality but don't really want to go backwards from what i currently have.

your comments, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon

Comments

• They're OK... for the money they're pretty good
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche Reflex wheels are pretty good too and not expensive.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For commuting something like open pro's would be more durable, especially the way roads are being torn up by the wet weather at the moment.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Really OP durable with the wrong pads and wet weather I know folk who worn through them in 5000 miles or so. Don't get me wrong I like the rim but it not my first choice when some one asks for a winter wheelset. Rigida chrina is the perfect commuting all weather rim. It take forever to wear these out. Still I don't think the OP is after handbuilts.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Really OP durable with the wrong pads and wet weather I know folk who worn through them in 5000 miles or so. Don't get me wrong I like the rim but it not my first choice when some one asks for a winter wheelset. Rigida chrina is the perfect commuting all weather rim. It take forever to wear these out. Still I don't think the OP is after handbuilts.

I was referring to the wheels the bike came with originally :)

Sorry for any confusion.