Velomine USA ebay shop

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velocity-Deep ... 3a852ed197

Anyone know what import duty rate is on bike wheelsets are?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not worth it. I had those hubs built on Archetypes DT Comp/Rev For just over 300 quid and they're over 300g lighter...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Assuming you pay nothing of import, you will save roughly 50-60 pounds over having the same set built over here. If you have to pay VAT on it (as you do automatically on Ebay these days) then you end up spending exactly the same

Deep V are nice rims, I only build them for heavier riders though... if you are under 90 Kg, there are lighter options
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    What % rate is VAT?

Im 75 - 80kg.

I have being unluckly or maybe bad at avoiding potholes recently. Broke at least 6 spokes (lost count) in first half of 2013 on both a 36h open pro 105 hub wheel & and a different 36h Ma2 mavic rim wheel.

Now I automatically check spokes after everyride, to see if more have broken.

They may be defective wheels I suppose, although haven't had a spoke break now for a about 4 months (doing about 80miles a week) so many all the ones that were going to break have broken or something.

Halfords are nice they give me free spokes when they break.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I went straight into a curb at 20mph the other day. Bent and cracked my steel frame (looks like an accordion now) but my wheels are still true... Perhaps you need to look at better spokes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Moonbiker
    Worked out with import duty theese would be total £193

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=2723

Hand Built Custom Tensioned and Trued Wheelset
    Shimano 105 5700 Road Hubs
    H+Son TB14 Double Walled Rims Alloy
    DT Swiss Champion 2.0 butted Spokes
    100mm Front Hub Spacing 130mm Rear Hub Spacing (road bikes)
    Machined for Brakes
    700c Clincher 622/road/29
    Drilled for Presta
    883g Front 1083g Rear
    32-42mm Valve Stem Required
    Internal Rim Width 17.5mm
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Is that import duty, plus 20% VAT on the total of cost and import duty, plus the 8% "handling charge" the PO takes for collecting the duty??
  • Moonbiker
    edited February 2014
    Used this calculator think it might miss out handling:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/187244143/

Notes on duty & taxes rates

Bike Wheelset has an import duty rate of 4.7% and VAT rate of 20%.

So add 8% = £208
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Used this calculator think it might miss out handling:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/187244143/

Notes on duty & taxes rates

Bike Wheelset has an import duty rate of 4.7% and VAT rate of 20%.

So add 8% = £216

Same wheels custom made over here, probably 240-250 with lighter spokes... is it worth it?
  • Moonbiker
    Maybe for me as I don't enter races atm so do I really need a weight weenie wheel for everyday use?

Do the heavier spokes = a slightly stronger wheel or just heavier & lower spec with no advantage?

How many grams saved weight if used lighter spokes?
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Maybe for me as I don't enter races atm so do I really need a weight weenie wheel for everyday use?

Do the heavier spokes = a slightly stronger wheel or just heavier & lower spec with no advantage?

How many grams saved weight if used lighter spokes?

Heavy plain gauge spokes are for heavy riders, in your case they won't be better or last longer than saying DT Competition.
    It's not about being weight weenie, it's about getting something which is right for you at pretty much the same price as something that is built for someone bigger than you
  • andygo
    andygo Posts: 39
    Personally I'd look closer to home for something like wheels....chances are they'll be fine... but if they're not then it's going to cost a lot to send them back....then you'll have the faff of trying to avoid import charges all over again for replacements. Hardly worth bothering to save a few quid, you're better off looking for a lightly used set on ebay or bite the bullet and pay the extra £60 for someone over here to make them. You could always have a go at doing them yourself...I did recently and mine haven't collapsed yet...just need a bit of patience and download Roger Musson;s book. Wheeljig helps too....