Fox Damper Removal Tool - Size?

MGDriver
MGDriver Posts: 38
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
A quick question; On 32mm Fox Forx does anyone know the thread size at the bottom of the Damper and Air Shaft legs? (the bits that protrude through the Lower Legs of the Fork with the black nuts on)

Mojo sell a tool for fitting onto the threaded section of the shaft to knock the Damper and Air Shafts out of the Lower Legs, but it's quite expensive, I don't like just hitting the thread with a soft mallet, or the refitting the nut and hitting that method.

The thread is about Ø8mm, but it's not M8, I'm thinking it might be some strange American type, I don't think it's 5/16"UNF, 1/4" BSW maybe (too coarse?)

I'll get the calipers and pitch gauge out tonight and try to work it out, but in the meantime if anyone knows this closely guarded secret I would be most grateful.
Giant Trance X2 - 2013
Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I just put the nut back on and hit it with a mallet, worked fine and didn't damage anything
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are aware that the is more than one M8 thread pitch.

and it will not be AF on UNF or UNC as they are not made in the US.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes I am Nick, but all I had to hand last night were some M8 x 1.25 Nuts, I should have been a bit clearer in my post.
    As you can guess I'm looking to make my own version of the tool that Fox sell, I'm away from my workshop at the moment so I cannot get to measure the thread size properly. I was just hoping that someone had already done this and could save me the effort. :wink:
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
    Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
    Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010
  • dusk wrote:
    I just put the nut back on and hit it with a rubber mallet, worked fine and didn't damage anything
    THIS
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^ it is what the manual states too. partly undo the alloy nuts and hit with rubber mallet.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont hit the shaft with the mallet. Put a socket on the nut and hit that. You bend the shaft and Mojo will be relieving you of many pounds.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Dont hit the shaft with the mallet. Put a socket on the nut and hit that. You bend the shaft and Mojo will be relieving you of many pounds.

This!