Canyon Spectral AL

Dalby79
Dalby79 Posts: 25
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Ordered this Canyon a few weeks ago, but I'm now questioning my decision as I have seen a lot of people on here question The Fox 32 forks, especially the flex. Will be used for AM, trail, Yorkshire Dales.

Should i be worried?
https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2

Current bike is a Cube AMS 100

Comments

• Dalby79 wrote:
    Should i be worried?

F**k no. It looks sweet.
    It's all about perception.
    Some people go on about saving half a gram of weight, others about psi levels in a tyre, others about flex in a fork.
    To most of us out there the difference is so negligable it doesn't matter.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Nah, they'll be stiff enough for most things, unless you demand a lot out of your fork they'll be fine
  • Good to hear!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Very nice bike, I've looked at those myself. Raw finish or chrome red?
  • It's only 140mm, I wouldn't worry. If you find them too twangy then swap them out.
  • Very nice bike, I've looked at those myself. Raw finish or chrome red?
    Tough choice but I went for the Red!
  • I like the red giving some hard thought wether to save a bit more and upset the missus to get one of these let me know how you get on with it when it comes will be may when I can afford one
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Dalby79 wrote:
    Very nice bike, I've looked at those myself. Raw finish or chrome red?
    Tough choice

Indeed, I love both, not sure which I'd go for.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    do they flex yes, will you notice unlikely.
  • Thanks for the replies.
  • I was hoping SuperSonic would give me his view!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    personal preference i guess, some will notice the flex and others wont be bothered by it.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I used to have a Trek ex8 with 140mm Fox 32's (non tapered) and I never noticed any flex, now I've put them on my Cotic BFe I do notice flex but it's not horrendous. Unless you're planning on riding it really hard I think you'll be fine
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The 150mm Float 32 forks are really flexy. 140mm 32's are a bit flexy but not too bad.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your a big lad you will notice, I found 120mm Fox 32s a bit wiggly. If your not a fat knacker like me I doubt you will notice.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I have ordered a Spectral all 9.0ex and probably going to put a Pike on it but before making that decision going to ride it hard and see how it feels first. Sure it will be fine for regular trail and XC use and only do the occasion DH day so not changing it just for that.
  • I'm waiting for delivery of a nerve al+ 8 and now have a conundrum. I have a brand new pair of 2012 150mm revelation rl i was going to sell . Would they be better than the fox that come with the bike? OR do i sell both and get some pikes? decisions,decisions!!!
  • DC01
    DC01 Posts: 333
    Im also strongly considering a Spectral. My only resevation is not being able to sit on one for sizing. I used there size guide and came up with a medium size frame, eventhough im 6ft with a 33 inch inside leg? Great spec and the bike looks fantastic.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    DC01 wrote:
    Im also strongly considering a Spectral. My only resevation is not being able to sit on one for sizing. I used there size guide and came up with a medium size frame, eventhough im 6ft with a 33 inch inside leg? Great spec and the bike looks fantastic.

Make sure your measured by someone else you need to be spot on with the measurements. Dont bother about medium and large sizings when comparing different makes of bike one firms medium can easily be anothers large and vice versa. I am also 6ft with iirc a 34 inside leg and my medium Nerve fitted me fine.

If you do get the wrong size you have 30 days to swap for free.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Revhound wrote:
    I'm waiting for delivery of a nerve al+ 8 and now have a conundrum. I have a brand new pair of 2012 150mm revelation rl i was going to sell . Would they be better than the fox that come with the bike? OR do i sell both and get some pikes? decisions,decisions!!!

Sell both and get pikes...
  • DC01 wrote:

Get a large the medium will be to cramped. I'm similar size to you and large no brainer. Check the Pinkbike review also.
  • acer1597 wrote:
    DC01 wrote:

Get a large the medium will be to cramped. I'm similar size to you and large no brainer. Check the Pinkbike review also.
    Yeah im 6'3 and my measurements were bringing a medium up but after speaking to Canyon i ordered a large.
  • Just ordered the Spectral AL 6.0, in the slightly mid life crisis (me) Chrome Red. Can't wait.

Appreciate it is the bottom of the Spectral ladder but was at the very upper limit of my budget. Figure that the frames are all the same so the components can be upgraded as and when. To be honest though, the spec looks well within my abilities, and although it could shed a few grams, can't see much reason for changing anything.

Just waiting for my delivery date, but hoping for end of March as per their availability checker.

I am just nudging 5'11", and went for medium (the sizing tool said small, but that seemed pretty wrong bearing in mind my current steed is a large Stumpy (on the slightly to large end of the spectrum).

Lets see your pics when you get your bikes.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • Just out of curiosity, would it be worth trying to scrape the extra money for the 7.0, with the Talas? Not sure I would actually use the variable travel - but wonder if the fork is much better or whether it is just a bit more to go wrong.

Bit late now as I have put my order in, but just wondering.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw