zipp 404, opinions please

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
i am looking at zipp 404 wheel sets, think i will be looking for a good second hand set. but really i was wondering what peoples experiences of the wheels are, cheers
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• Some will say that Zipp wheels are great – and some will tell you that the hubs will explode and you will most certainly die.

I’ve been riding 303 FC’s (tub version) since the start of last year and IMO they’re excellent wheels.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm one of those who died riding Zipps. Luckily I got better. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I've had my Zipp 404's for over a year. They are great wheels when riding on the flats, in the drops. They also respond very well to hard accelerations. Side winds can be somewhat of a problem, especially if you're a little on the lighter side. I've heard about the hub problems, but have never had that happen to me or anyone else I know. Highly recommended!
  • rhaddo
    rhaddo Posts: 24
    I love mine - 2010 tub version. No problems with the wind but then I weigh 80kg and they are race wheels only. I assume reynolds and the like do something as good. I have always had the suspicion that the zipp reputation is also to do with marketing as well as the fact they are nice wheels.