Recommend a hybrid

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
hi all

Mate's thinking of getting a new bike, £400 to spend, wants hybrid style bike for hacking up towpaths, parks, etc

Was thinking of either a Voodoo Marasa or a Carrera Gryphon from Halfrauds, but can anyone else recommend something suitable???

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Gryphon is fab, quite light for the money. Also look in Decathlon of one near you - possibly even better value. If you want to up your budget, the Boardman Hybrids are superb.
  • Trek FX 7.2 - I had a 7.1 and was very happy with it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm going to get a gryphon although i think the tyres/wheels might be a bit soft for tow paths
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • As most of the CS8 using roadies will testify, my Boardman Hybrid Pro is pretty fleet of foot. I use it every day for the 35 mile round trip and it has served me brilliantly for the last 2+ years. The lesser models (Team or Comp) are a bit heavier but still good. I quite like the Hoy Shizuoka too which you can get from Evans Cycles. Similar philosophy to Boardman i.e. more of a road bike with flat bars. Some hybrids are very visibly a de-ruggedised mountain bike and I'm not into those at all. Ones that are more road bike like with disc brakes and flat bars are a very practical choice. A change of tyres is pretty much all you need to switch from pure road use to doing tow paths and the like (or go with something like a Schwalbe Marathon for all purpose use).
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • I had a Trek FX 4.3 when I started commuting. It was a solid workhorse and reasonably fast for a hybrid since it wasn't too upright a ride. Was pretty much bombproof. I did 10000+ miles on it without a visit from the PF. Worst mechanical issue was the day that the saddle sheared off the seatpost (tho to be fair, it gave some wobbling warning) and left me 5 miles to ride standing.