Fitting a Hans Dampf is making me cry

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've just spent 2 hours trying to fit a Super Gravity 650b. I'm 80% through and it's 3 in the morning and I've given up. These tyres feel as though they're made of cement! The last few inches are always the hardest but this is a joke! I shudder to think what I'll do if I ever had a puncture!

Do halfords/Evans et al have a tyre fitting service? How much will it be? I think it's worth it if it means not breaking my thumbs! :cry:

Comments

• This may sound a really daft question, but you have got a 650b tyre and not a 26 tyre haven't you? Just checking :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • They are buggers the sg ones...

I'd suggest leaving the wheel outside to cool right down and warming the tyre, use talc to help it slip on and if all else fails leave the tyre as on as you can get it for 3mins and it should give a little to let it slip over.

What rims???
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go to Youtube. search for "Schwalbe Marathon Plus" watch and remember how you should fit tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've had a couple of set of Hans Dampfs and they can be a really tight fit on some rims. When you have them mostly on try putting a little washing up liquid on the tyre bead to help it slip over the edge of the rim. I think they actually sell a product which you are meant to use, but this does the same thing
  • Thanks for the tips. I'l try a combo of the washing up liquid on the tech used on youtube!

These tyres are stiff! You'd need a rambo knife to cut them!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah Hans dampfs can be awkard, first couple of times I got someone to give me a hand, then started doing them myself, it does get easier!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    try adding some soapy water to the bead
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Tyre levers?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    go to Youtube. search for "Schwalbe Marathon Plus" watch and remember how you should fit tyres.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Never found a tyre yet that you can't get on or off just using hands.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good news is the fairy liquid worked! Used the tyre lever to jam the fucker in, then suddenly the entire thing just slipped in! Result!

Bad news, the previous owner had pumped the inner tube with slime! Looks like it jammed the valve or something. As soon as I removed the pump, the farted out shitloads of slime! It was spectacular!

Fuck am I going to wreck my hands again! My thumbs still ache! Evans offer to install tubes for £5 if you buy from them...might just take them up on the offer. For a fiver, it's worth it!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    kammybear wrote:
    Good news is the fairy liquid worked! Used the tyre lever to jam the ****** in, then suddenly the entire thing just slipped in! Result!

that's what she said :lol:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Try a mix of Fairy Liquid, talcum powder and lard. Works a treat!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    kammybear wrote:
    Good news is the fairy liquid worked! Used the tyre lever to jam the ****** in, then suddenly the entire thing just slipped in! Result!

Bad news, the previous owner had pumped the inner tube with slime! Looks like it jammed the valve or something. As soon as I removed the pump, the farted out shitloads of slime! It was spectacular!

fark am I going to wreck my hands again! My thumbs still ache! Evans offer to install tubes for £5 if you buy from them...might just take them up on the offer. For a fiver, it's worth it!

Until you need to do it on the trail, in the rain. Better to practice at home in comfort.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I got it on! My thumbs are just sore! If the time comes, I'll know how to do it in an emergency. I think I'll get nobby nics for the rear to save hassle :oops:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I would've liked to see you get the OE wire bead Mountain Kings off my Boardman with just your hands. If you could then you're either the missing link, or a silverback gorilla.
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    The last few inches are always the hardest

I bet you say that to all the boys. :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I would've liked to see you get the OE wire bead Mountain Kings off my Boardman with just your hands. If you could then you're either the missing link, or a silverback gorilla.
    I have never had that pleasure, I must admit.
    And I am sure I'm not a gorilla. The missing link is, however, a possibility.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    It certainly wasn't a pleasure.They were an absolute bast**d to get off the rims (XM319s), even snapped a tyre lever before they gave up the struggle. I certainly wouldn't have fancied fixing a puncture trailside with those, that was reason enough in itself to remove them unused. The replacement XR3 Team Issues went on easily with just my hands, but needed inflating to high pressure to seat the bead correctly (something I've heard said about Bontrager tyres a few times).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I have never had that pleasure, I must admit.
    And I am sure I'm not a gorilla. The missing link is, however, a possibility.
    Not come across any tyre (cycle) that I could not get off without tools. Of. Get on without tools and I have had some stubbon ones.

I do admit to using a tool when you have 10 sets of tyres to change to winter studs. Well it does speed things up a little.
    But fitting the marathon plus winters was generally tool less as if was faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nick, try fitting a tubeless ultremo to a 303...