Longer cycling shorts, anyone?

Vingt-et-un-cc
Vingt-et-un-cc Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
I'm currently working on an idea for a line of cycle clothing, the reason being that I'm tall and thin (6'3" & 32in waist) and I can't find brands (Rapha excluded) that make "long" shorts (long enough but tight enough for my spindly legs). I've asked around and the answer always seems to be "buy an Italian brand in a larger size because they always come up small". It's a fair point but doesn't really solve the problem and it would be great to know if anyone else has that issue and if there's some market for a "long" version of bib shorts that don't hit the £170-odd you need to shell out for Rapha's long version. I don't mind if you think it's a crazy idea - I'd just like to get a feel for what people think (it may be completely a fashion thing - Sky's shorts certainly seem to fit longer than the rest of the peleton at just above the knee, which I like, rather than 1-3in shorter for the others, so maybe it's just personal preference/body geometry). If I did it I'd make a full range with pro-level pads, so not just for lanky cyclists i.e. S, S long, M, M long etc.

Any thoughts (no orders, please - I'm at least a year away from a prototype)?

(Also, I did search but if this is the wrong place to post this then please point me in the right direction).

Thanks!

Comments

• You're waisting your time.

Have you tried Capo shorts?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Vingt-et-un-cc
    Vingt-et-un-cc Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    Thanks! I haven't seen that brand in the UK but see that Condor stock them so I'll give them a try. They don't look like they do a long size.

So you wouldn't be interested at all? or might you give them a try?

Just spoke to Condo and they said that Capo isn't noticeably longer. Said that Assos do a long version of the Mille and Endura also do a long option (don't have the name of that one). Anyone have any experience of these? Are they too long, still short, about right (your height would help so I have some context)?
  • You're waisting your time.

:D very good.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'm 6'5" (although considerably lardier than you, I'm afraid). With a larger waist size I suppose my shorts are probably longer than yours, although I have noticed that some are noticeably shorter than others. TBH, I just live with it and get more tan coverage in the summer!

That said, I wear a lot of Altura kit and that seems to be long enough. If only I was a 32" waist!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've got a couple of pairs that I could lose 4" from and they'd still be fine. Louis Garneau are probably the biggest culprit.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    With a larger waist size I suppose my shorts are probably longer than yours, although I have noticed that some are noticeably shorter than others. TBH, I just live with it and get more tan coverage in the summer!

That said, I wear a lot of Altura kit and that seems to be long enough. If only I was a 32" waist!

Thanks - seems like it's mainly a fashion / choice thing rather than a function / performance thing for most people? :?:
    That could work for me... Either way, you've given me some info to think about so thanks! Might head to the London Bike Show and ask around. I kind of want to do it anyway because I've got some other good ideas but the whole development process is pretty pricey, so don't want to just throw money away...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Most shorts are too long - pros are thin as anything so shorter shorts is a pro look.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Did you do a conclusive survey that you collected data from that says this is a particular problem?

Lycra is stretchy. I can wear the gripper band of my shorts in a range of positions covering maybe a 2" span and still have the lycra pull tight.

As with so many Dragon's Den ideas .. I think you're solving a problem that doesn't really exist except for you. You're not that tall or that thin.

I'd far rather you made some type of Jellybean/Food dispenser that I could eat from that high speed rather than rooting round in a rear pocket with gloves on trying to find the top of the bag.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I'm 6'5" (although considerably lardier than you, I'm afraid). With a larger waist size I suppose my shorts are probably longer than yours, although I have noticed that some are noticeably shorter than others. TBH, I just live with it and get more tan coverage in the summer!

Seconded. 6'3"/32"w here, and Altura fit me fine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I have the opposite problem - they're all too bloody long.

Can't I get shorts like Johnny?

Archief_Foto_s_Archief_Wielrennen_auto_auto_c651_c370_q95_Hoogerland03_651.jpg
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I'm 6'2" and have never had a problem with shorts being too long. Maybe I have a slightly longer torso than you do
  • Thanks all for the replies; it's good to have a reality check once in a while :roll:

I may be looking for a solution to a pretty minor problem (cards on the table - part of me does want to see other cyclists riding in kit I've designed) but I would LOVE to have the problem of shorts being too long. Even Rapha's longer version could still be longer IMHO. More work needed, methinks.

Re: more conclusive research: that's still coming back (I've got a SurveyMonkey out bothering people).
  • neilo23
    I have an idea for qn item of clothing: shoes for spring / autumn. You can get winter shoes or you can get summer shoes full of holes. How about cycling shoes which are not full of ventilation holes? The north European climate isn't usually so warm that summer shoes can be used for many months before the wind blowing into them freezes your feet.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    neilo23 wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and have never had a problem with shorts being too long. Maybe I have a slightly longer torso than you do

I'm 6'2", skinny with long legs. TBH, I wasn't aware there was a problem! I have a pair of Shutt bibs (medium - note to OP; might be worth contacting Shutt - they might well be able to make longer legged shorts fairly easily if they think it a good idea) and two pairs of Santini (L) and they are fine. I spent quite some time trying on different sized Santinis and found little difference. I find it a bit bizarre that someone of my dimensions would fit size L but there you go.
    neilo23 wrote:
    I have an idea for qn item of clothing: shoes for spring / autumn. You can get winter shoes or you can get summer shoes full of holes. How about cycling shoes which are not full of ventilation holes? The north European climate isn't usually so warm that summer shoes can be used for many months before the wind blowing into them freezes your feet.

This is more like a real problem to me. I have Fizik R1 and R3 from last year which are leather and only lightly perforated. Giro make something similar. Everything else seems made largely of mesh and I can get cold feet in July in my Northwaves which you can see through! Given that the pro cyclist is often devoid of fat and therefore presumably, like me, sensitive to cold, you'd think there would be more shoes available with less holes in them!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neilo23
    Exactly. What's needed is what my mum would call "sensible" shoes (that look good). Unless you're lucky enough to live in Spain or Italy you're going to be riding in cool and wet conditions on a tegular basis. I don't want to take over shoes with me in summer so something splash resistant and a bit more windproof on my feet would help all year round.
  • D@VE
    D@VE Posts: 73
    Try dhb Aeron Pro shorts from wiggle, they work for me.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    I can say that I do have this problem.....

Although I haven't tried the offerings from Rapha, Assos or Santini (which seem to be recommended for long legged folks).

I am 6'3'' with a 30'' waist, so even smaller waist than you and I have to opt for a medium in most brands to get the compression in the leg and I like a close fitting pad.

All my shorts seem fairly short, but I have just gotten on with it until now...... (I quite like the extra tan in summer)
  • I too had this problem a while back, and with a 36 inch inside leg, thigh length plays a big part, no point having the hey day of cycling Lutz wooly shorts that just cut you in half, when now you can get Assos F1 Mille, after all if youre going to ride a bike more than once a week, then you want some comfort, they come as a pretty long cut too, not cheap, but well worth the extra money.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    You're waisting your time.

Have you tried Capo shorts?

I think I can see what you've done there.