5ft7, is 51cm frame too small? Triban 3 owners in Somerset?

david1980
david1980 Posts: 11
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been offered a hardly used Triban 3 (the carbon forked version) for £150, which sounds good to me.

But i'm not sure if it is too small for me, its not close enough for me to try out size wise and i'm not near a decathalon store either.

I'm 33 years old so i'm not growing anymore, 5ft 7in with a 30.5 inch inner leg.

The bike is a 51 cm frame, but i'm not sure if I would be better waiting for a 54 cm frame to come up for sale.

I have looked at lots of posts from people a similar size to me and it seems to swing both ways with pretty much 50% saying that the 54 was the right size and 50% saying it was too big.

I also noticed that the 54 comes with 700c wheels wheras the 51 has 650b wheels, but i'm new to biking and don't know how much a difference that would make if any?

So i'm not sure what to do??? If you own or have tried a triban 3 I would love to hear what your opinion was.

Or better still if any of you Triban 3 owners have a 51 or 54 size frame and live anywhere near the Taunton area in Somerset i'd love to try one for size???

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• B'twin Triban 3 size 54, seat tube 45cm, top tube (real) 53cm, top tube (virtual) 54cm.

You need a 54. I'm 171cm and ride bikes with a 52.5/53.5cm top tubes.
  • First of all, if it's in decent nick that's a steal! I sold my Triban for £250 a couple of months ago. It sold 5 minutes after listing it, so probably could have gotten a bit more. I'm 5'10 and had a 57cm Triban. My new bikes are a 54 Felt and a 55 Giant TCR. Both feel a much better size. There's no substitute for actually trying a bike, or getting properly fitted, but I doubt there are many 5'7 people on 54cm frames.

There's a Triban 3 forum:

triban3owners.freeforums.net/

Might be an owner near you on it.
  • I doubt there are many 5'7 people on 54cm frames

This isn't a 54cm frame - it has a TT of 53cm which is quite adequate for a 170cm tall person.

The clue is in the wheel size - bikes with 650cc wheels are for very small people. The OP will look like an adult on a kids bike if he gets the smaller size.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    B'twin Triban 3 size 54, seat tube 45cm, top tube (real) 53cm, top tube (virtual) 54cm.

You need a 54. I'm 171cm and ride bikes with a 52.5/53.5cm top tubes.

All depends on your propetions at our height (I'm 170cm) a cm here and they can make a massive difference eg bars can have between 70mm and 90mm reach so there's a couple of cm's difference.
    54's are too big for me and I can't find many bikes with the right frame angles to accomodate my long femurs for my height.
    51 could be ok but you need to try it - it won't be a bargain if it doesn't fit !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Perhaps at that price I could buy it, try it and sell it on for a small profit if it was not the right fit??

I don't have the longest arms, 27.5 inches from armpit to fingertip.
  • It's up to you. But I can guarantee you it will be too small.
  • Thanks for the advice, i'm definately looking at buying a 54cm frame now.

I got in touch with the guys on the Triban website and it seems a 54 is the way to go.

Do Decathalon deliver for free?

Its down to a choice between a new red T3 at £250 if I can find a 54, or a used red T3 at around £200 or a 2010 Giant 3 (yellow/black) if It goes for under £250 selling local on ebay (which it probably won't).

Thanks for all your help.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    It's up to you. But I can guarantee you it will be too small.

And I can guarantee you a 54 will be too big especially so if you have short arms as you say.
    Try and save a bit more cash and be patient for the right bike.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • If it's any help I'm marginally shorter by about 1⁄4". My Triban 3 was my first road bike and I've felt my 51cm has been the perfect size, I've done just under 2,500 miles in just over a year on it and no aches or pains at all. I've been told I have short legs based on my height. I've also read previously it's easier to make a smaller bike easier to fit a larger person with stems and spacers etc then the other way around. I think you'd be ok but obviously it's your call although I did feel a bit silly with only 650c wheels, but know the fit was comfortable for me at least.
    StravaTrainerRoad
    Triban 3: Red ● CAAD10-3: Black (2014)