Isopropyl Alchohol

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
Just wondering the uses of IPA, as I've heard that it can be used as a cleaning agent. Is it used in the muc off sense on frames, etc to remove dirt, or the degreaser sense on headset bearings, fork lower legs, etc to remove grease, or both? Also, I heard somewhere that it can strip paint in which case using it on any part is un advisable? Or does it evaporate so fast that it doesn't have time to strip the paint? Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As a degreaser for rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A million and one uses around the home, from cleaning electronic components to removing your nail polish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    But would it actually damage painted parts?
  • cooldad
    I've used it for cleaning delicate parts, including printed circuits etc and it's never caused any damage. Doubt it would strip paint unless you soaked it for a period. It's just pure alcohol.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The key point about it is it evaporates and leaves no residue. It can be considered inert, that's why electrical contact cleaner sprays use it.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    It's just pure alcohol.

Mmmmm

Unlike you to make such a vague and generalist comment (really, no irony)

No such thing as 'pure alcohol' because 'alcohol' refers to many organic compounds - the commonality being an 'OH' group attached to a carbon chain.

So examples are methanol (1 carbon), ethanol (2 carbons), propanol (3 carbons)... I could go on. Ethanol is the 'alcohol' we know as alcohol.

IPA (Iso-propyl-alcohol) is a variation on propanol. An 'isomer' if you're interested.

Anyway, it's a general purpose solvent with lots of uses - primarily cleaning and degreasing. Useful stuff, available from a good chemist. It's unlikely to attack or damage paintwork except if left in contact for an extended period.
  • cooldad
    Because chemistry is too hard for me.
    So to be more precise, I get 99% stuff, it evaporates very, very quickly.
    Used on delicate things it seems to cause no harm, although I have never bathed my bike in it.
    Or even my rotors, as water seems to work for me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    Because chemistry is too hard for me.
    So to be more precise, I get 99% stuff, it evaporates very, very quickly.
    Used on delicate things it seems to cause no harm, although I have never bathed my bike in it.
    Or even my rotors, as water seems to work for me.

Chemistry's easy. What's difficult is people. There speaks a scientist!

Everything else you've written above is true though.

Just don't drink it
  • Have used it when cleaning my camper with no paint loss although for paint cleaning purposes it is used in high dilution as a final rinse aid to break surface tension and allow any remaining water to bead off, reducing water marks and aiding drying.

Alternatively, vinegar or lemon juice in the final rinse works just as well.
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    Cqc wrote:
    Hi all,
    Just wondering the uses of IPA, as I've heard that it can be used as a cleaning agent. Is it used in the muc off sense on frames, etc to remove dirt, or the degreaser sense on headset bearings, fork lower legs, etc to remove grease, or both? Also, I heard somewhere that it can strip paint in which case using it on any part is un advisable? Or does it evaporate so fast that it doesn't have time to strip the paint? Thanks[/quote

As an aside, it's a fantastic lubricant for removing the rubber hoods from road bike shifters - I chuck a capful under the rubber and they slide off beautifully. Same again to get them back on again. It evaporates in a few minutes leaving nothing behind.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The main thing I use it for is cleaning parts during a fork service. Strips off old grease and dries quickly with no residue.

Also, a little bit on a rag is perfect for cleaning grime and excess lube off the outer edges of your chain.
    Finally, a small jar filled with the stuff is perfect for cleaning dirty bolts etc - drop them in and give them a shake and all the old grease (with the grit that's stuck to it) comes right out of the threads.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    I've used it for cleaning delicate parts, including printed circuits etc and it's never caused any damage. Doubt it would strip paint unless you soaked it for a period. It's just pure alcohol.

technically pure alcohol covers any alcohol. Wouldn't want to rub my bike with methanol or breath in butanol

An alcohol is just a chemical group (-OH) that is bound to a carbon atom saturated with 3 other single bonds. isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) is a 3 carbon molecule with a single hydroxyl group on carbon 2, ethanol is 2 carbon, methanol is 1 carbon. Glycerol is an alcohol (Propane-1,2,3-triol). :lol:
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

technically pure alcohol covers any alcohol. Wouldn't want to rub my bike with methanol or breath in butanol

An alcohol is just a chemical group (-OH) that is bound to a carbon atom saturated with 3 other single bonds. isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) is a 3 carbon molecule with a single hydroxyl group on carbon 2, ethanol is 2 carbon, methanol is 1 carbon. Glycerol is an alcohol (Propane-1,2,3-triol). :lol:

I need some alocohol
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    gsej wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Hi all,
    Just wondering the uses of IPA, as I've heard that it can be used as a cleaning agent. Is it used in the muc off sense on frames, etc to remove dirt, or the degreaser sense on headset bearings, fork lower legs, etc to remove grease, or both? Also, I heard somewhere that it can strip paint in which case using it on any part is un advisable? Or does it evaporate so fast that it doesn't have time to strip the paint? Thanks[/quote

As an aside, it's a fantastic lubricant for removing the rubber hoods from road bike shifters - I chuck a capful under the rubber and they slide off beautifully. Same again to get them back on again. It evaporates in a few minutes leaving nothing behind.

I'd be concerned about washing the grease out of the internals by doing that.
  • Cqc
    Alright lads, thanks for the chemistry lesson, for clarification I did do chemistry A-level, got it basically all now, one last question, can it be used instead of Muc Off to remove dirt and Muc Off degreaser on headsets, etc. thanks for all the help so far :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Be careful using it near any saddles with printed logos on. I was degreasing a frame to put helicopter tape on once and dropped the IPA soaked rag on the saddle for a minute whilst I answered my mobile. Balls it smeared the logos and a couple of months later the vinyl split.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    keef66 wrote:
    gsej wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Hi all,

I'd be concerned about washing the grease out of the internals by doing that.

It's only a small 'cap'. I'm not sure there's enough to get into the internals. When putting them on I just put a bit on the inside and rub it all over with my finger. It makes a massive difference.
  • cooldad
    stubs wrote:
    Balls smeared the logos and a couple of months later the vinyl split.

Obviously doesn't like being anywhere near your arris.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools