My First Road Bike, Two Choices

mackccj
mackccj Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
After injuries to my joints through running I have decided to take up road biking in order to keep fit, I am looking to spend around £300 for my first bike, I have seen two bikes I like the look of but I'd appreciate an experienced cyclists opinion, the 2 bikes are a carrera zelos and the other is a Btwin triban 3. Feel free to let me know your opinions and advice. Cheers

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    heard good things about the triban 3 as a decent entry-level bike, a few new road cyclists round here have started off on that model. Decathlon are pretty good at servicing and advice if you need it, so I'd opt for the Triban 3.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Either a red triban 3 or a carrera TDF get my vote in this price bracket.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • thanks for the advice, the triban 3 red are all gone in my size, read a few reviews on the TDF and most of the comments mention having to change parts or upgrading when buying, wiggle have a felt z100 2013 priced at £356, would the Felt be a better spec of bike for not much of a price increase? also i see a lot of people change the saddle for comfort, is this recommended or do padded shorts make the normal saddles more comfortable?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Either a red triban 3 or a carrera TDF get my vote in this price bracket.

Have never seen a T3 in the flesh but I have picked up a TDF. Luckily I had eaten 3 shredded wheat for breakfast that day!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Buy a used one of tEbay.
    I reckon you could get a much better used say £850 when new for your budget
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
    Galatzo wrote:
    Buy a used one of tEbay.
    I reckon you could get a much better used say £850 when new for your budget
    Yes, but you need to know what you are doing and buying. OP says he is just taking up road - it's a lot of money to spend if you have never sat on one.