Final decision on 2 MTBs views please.

ricgreen
ricgreen Posts: 103
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
http://www.mtbe.co.uk/goto.php?wtg=http ... &langId=-1

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/goto.php?wtg=http ... 68918.html

After much research and reviewing its down to the 2 above bikes
Similar price but which is around the best ?
Which would you choose ?

Comments

• I just started a similar thread lol, good luck in finding your bike, its tougher than you first think isn't it!!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ricgreen
    KevChallis wrote:
    I just started a similar thread lol, good luck in finding your bike, its tougher than you first think isn't it!!!

Your looking at bikes twice the price that im looking at
    But good luck.
  • it doesn't matter how much the bike is, its how you enjoy riding it ;)

I would go with the boardman
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    KevChallis wrote:
    it doesn't matter how much the bike is, its how you enjoy riding it ;)

Same- better fork
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    KevChallis wrote:

Me too.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    The Epicon is better than a Recon? I was always under the impression the Recon was superior.

Other than that the specs are much of a muchness, Boardman has better brakes, Rockrider has a better drivetrain.
  • winrya
    winrya Posts: 32
    Boardman for me. All of their bikes seem to be the best spec per £ around.
  • Kowalski675
    Cookeh wrote:
    The Epicon is better than a Recon? I was always under the impression the Recon was superior.

Epicon's considerably lighter (ally stanchions compared to steel on the recon), air sprung (coil on the recon) and travel adjustable. CAn't comment on how the damping compares, but a shop floor bounce felt smoother and more controlled on the Epicon (admittedly hardly an exhaustive test). Would be a different matter if it was a Recon Gold RL.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Recon stiffer and smoother, Epicon lighter and more adjustable to your weight.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:

Epicon's considerably lighter (ally stanchions compared to steel on the recon), air sprung (coil on the recon) and travel adjustable. CAn't comment on how the damping compares, but a shop floor bounce felt smoother and more controlled on the Epicon (admittedly hardly an exhaustive test). Would be a different matter if it was a Recon Gold RL.

Might be the Golds Im thinking of then, and the Silver Solo Airs too.
  • Kowalski675
    edited February 2014
    Cookeh wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Might be the Golds Im thinking of then, and the Silver Solo Airs too.

Both of those feel considerably smoother than the coil Recon Silver, based on a static bounce (but the Solo Air Silver still has steel stanchions). I was surprised how good the Recon Solo Air felt for a budget fork, but no way would I take the coil Recon Silver over my Epicon.
  • supersonic
    The coil recon is the smoothest of all when I tested (in WMB last year).
  • ricgreen
    Supersonic/ Cookeh

Which bike ?
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    The coil recon is the smoothest of all when I tested (in WMB last year).

I guess a coil fork maybe takes more bedding in. Certainly substantially heavier though, I'd rather have my Epicon over anything else you can buy for teh same money.
  • Cookeh
    ricgreen wrote:
    Supersonic/ Cookeh

Which bike ?

Personally, the Rockrider. But then I've not ridden an Epicon, so you'll have to rely on SuperSonics comparison on that front.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Both are good bikes. Both have decent forks for the money. Both are a good buy

Difficult, I know, but try to ride them even if it's just around the car park.

Go with your heart (as your head as already made good decisions to narrow it to these two)

I think you'll be happy with either. I can't choose based on the spec sheet
  • ricgreen
    BigAl wrote:

Go with your heart (as your head as already made good decisions to narrow it to these two)

Thanks BigAl" please name one of the bikes I need a decision, im already nervous. Need some positive decisions
  • supersonic
    Only you can do that! they are the best two bikes at this price. Go with what feels best to you.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    ricgreen wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

Thanks BigAl" please name one of the bikes I need a decision, im already nervous. Need some positive decisions

As Sonic says - you should choose!

If you're determined to force me then....

The Rockrider would be what my head says. But I'd rather own the Boardman.

Ha, told you I couldn't choose

I don't think you can lose on this one - you've picked the two best at this price

Bit like choosing between Emma Watson & Kristen Stewart :D
  • ricgreen
    Im swinging towards the Boardman MTB Comp
    No expert, but just fancy that over Rockrider 8.1

Anymore advice woud be good
    Thanks
  • chuck a voodoo bizango in the mix at £599. Just bought one, very pleased with it :)
  • Cookeh
    ricgreen wrote:
    Im swinging towards the Boardman MTB Comp
    No expert, but just fancy that over Rockrider 8.1

Anymore advice woud be good
    Thanks

There's nothing in it spec wise, they're both fantastic bikes for the budget. Whatever bike appeals to you is the one to choose. I said Rockrider out of the two cos I hate the look of white bikes, simple as that ;)