Clip pedals...mmmmm?!?

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited March 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi all

Just ordered and eagerly waiting a delivery of a boardman cx comp.

My quandary is that im crossing over from Mtb to cx and I've never ridden with anything other than flat pedals.
Not sure how i feel about clipping in and feel i may just stick to flats.

Are clips a must or is it just personal preference?

Cheers chaps
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Once you switch to clipless pedal you'll wonder why you hadn't done it ages ago. They make for much more efficient pedalling. Just make sure you practice clipping in and out lots while the bike is stationary at home first.

Most cyclocrossers use shimano or eggbeater type pedals I think that are common on mtb's too.

Just search for clipless pedals in the threads and you'll find loads of debate on this.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • If you're racing, they're a must. Otherwise personal preference. Always for my cx, but on my mtb it depends what I'm doing and for technical stuff I use flat pedals for both safety and drilling proper technique.
  • I have slips on my MTB and CX bike (Shimano SPDs). It means I can use the same MTB shoes on both, but the increase in speed and power I get using clipless means I'll never go back to flat pedals.

There is a familiarisation stage to go through, but once through that it's far better. Just my £0.02 of course!!
  • If racing your going to want spds (get xtr they're awesome) otherwise stick with some flats. No need to change if it's kit necessary
  • For cyclocross I think most use SPD rather than road pedals.

Pedals £16.49 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/ - these will include the cleats you screw into the shoes
    Shoes £49.19 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m064-sp ... ike-shoes/
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I have slips on my MTB and CX bike (Shimano SPDs). It means I can use the same MTB shoes on both, but the increase in speed and power I get using clipless means I'll never go back to flat pedals.

There is a familiarisation stage to go through, but once through that it's far better. Just my £0.02 of course!!
    The familiarisation phase it pretty quick for most people on road bikes. i.e. one or two rides.
    I would imagine it might take a little more getting used to off-road where there are probably more situations in which you might want to unclip unexpectedly.
  • [quote="Ai_1"The familiarisation phase it pretty quick for most people on road bikes. i.e. one or two rides.
    I would imagine it might take a little more getting used to off-road where there are probably more situations in which you might want to unclip unexpectedly.[/quote]

Very true. I also have the unclip pressure higher on my road bike (CX bike) as well, for just that reason :-)

TBH I unclip more on the road bike due to junction and traffic lights, although you do get more warning, if you're paying attention.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I use these SPD shoes both on and off road. Very comfy. You'll struggle up hills on a road bike if your not attached to the pedal.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-m08 ... 59113.html
  • I have the same ones, although I find them narrow, I guess I should have gotten the wide fit.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I have the same ones, although I find them narrow, I guess I should have gotten the wide fit.

Yes, I got the wides which actual fit true to the marked shoe size.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    M520s
    You can dial right down the clamping power with them so if you need to unclip quickly it requires less force to do so - useful on my hardtail MTb and on the cx when off road.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Clipless pedals are a scary concept to start with but they will become second nature. It feels weird riding a bike with flats for me now, even on very tricky technical sections I still prefer them. You don't NEED them but you won't regret getting them if you do (You WILL at some point fall off at 0.1mph in front of a group of people when you forget about them :-) )
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    Definitely get spd's (instead of flat's) much better for commuting, road and CX racing or even blasting round the local trails on the MTB. the only time I use flats is when I want to do some really lairy MTB'ing and want to bail quickly otherwise (I find) there is very little benefit of flats over SPD's except when going to the pub..

I'd recommend the Shimano's as well. a M088 and M540 combo. the ratchet of the M088 is great if you want to feel securely fastened into your shoes when putting on the power.