Can I mix Ultegra 10 speed and XT 10 speed?

cambsbiker
cambsbiker Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I want to run a triple on a road bike, but don't think the standard ultegra triple (6703)is suitable as the 52 outer ring is too large for me to use
An alternative would be to have the XT triple (M780), but would this be compatible with an utegra shifter/rear mech system.
If it would be feasible, could I use the ultegra front mech, or if not, which XT front mech would I need

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You're into real MTB territory with the XT triple (42,32,24). Why not just opt for a 105 (5700) triple at 50,39,30.

You're not sacrificing too much on weight and the 105 is well proven and a good bit cheaper than the Ultegra

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... wwod0HMAGA
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No problems with chainset compatability - most chainsets are universal for the same number of gears, despite what manufacturers tell you. You can use the XT chainset with some caveats: You'll need to fit the matching BB, not use a road one plus you'll need to use the spacers with a 68mm shell - it'll kick the chainline out a touch (~3mm) which means a bit more chainring rub if running small chainring to small sprocket. Alternatively, look at the Stronglight range of chainsets (e.g. Spa Cycles) where you have options like a 28/38/48.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    with compact chainsets e.g. 50-34 and larger cassettes e.g. 11-28 there's no real need for a triple these days - you get poor chain line with these and can't use many gears with each chainring.

unless you are lugging large loads on a touring bike i'd try compact
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Compact chainset is OK for riders of reasonable fitness on road, but if you're touring with luggage or planning to ride any rough stuff, then a triple gives a far more workable range of gears. I prepped a couple of friends bikes for JOGLE - they were riding a fairly indirect route with some smaller roads and tracks - they questioned the need for low gears but 3 days in facing driving rain and headwinds on singletrack roads, were grateful for the low gears.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..