My first road bike

mackccj
mackccj Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
After injuries to my joints through running I have decided to take up road biking in order to keep fit, I am looking to spend around £300 for my first bike, I have seen two bikes I like the look of but I'd appreciate an experienced cyclists opinion, the 2 bikes are a carrera zelos and the other is a Btwin triban 3. Feel free to let me know your opinions and advice. Cheers

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    You might have more luck posting in the buying advice forum. From memory, the Triban has a better spec than the Carrera (don't be fooled if Halfords are selling the latter at half price - I don't think anyone has ever paid full price for it!).
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited February 2014
    All of the main choices will be adequate - the important thing is that the bike is the right size for you and comfortable.

The Triban is the one they all rave about, and I think it's the one I would choose in that price range; but the differences aren't huge. The Carrera is 7 speed with a standard double chainset (so far as I can tell), and the Triban has a triple (and a smaller cassette range - 12-25 by the look of it). Triple chainsets are subject to snobbery from some road cyclists but they do allow really low gearing (lower than a compact), and you can use the full range of the middle ring, which works really well for some riders.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    If you have had joint problems (or even if not) then the availability of lower gears on the triple (Btwin) would be better - faster cadence at low load will be better for your knees than pushing hard slowly.

[Someone with enormous cojones will be along in a minute to tell you to get a singlespeed and man up though].