11 speed balls-up

wheeledwidewebb
wheeledwidewebb Posts: 254
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I thought I would have a change and go to 11 speed Shimano...

I knew my Zipp 2012 wheels would be trouble (and need sending away to Zipp) but I thought my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (2011) would at least work until I got the Zipps sorted out.

I trawled the net and it seemed that modern Mavic wheels would be fine with Shimano 11-speed, just remove the spacer.

Mine have a very thin spacer (I would call it a washer) of maybe 0.25mm and with it removed there is no way an 11-speed cassette is going on there (or at least not staying on there).

Now I may be stupid :roll: but that aside, can I ask if anyone on here has experience of this and is able to tell me if there is a replacement freehub available for these Mavics that will accept the 11-speed cassette.

For what it is worth, I have run 11-speed Campag on these with this thin washer in place without trouble.

Fankoo

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    The freehub is a M10 which works with 11 speed. This freehub has been around a long time so your current setup should work. When you swapped out the Campag freehub for the M10 maybe you did not reassemble it correctly? If the wheels had a campag freehub where did you get shimano one from?
  • I cannot readily remember where I got the M10 from, probably CRC or someone similar.

When it comes to swapping the freehubs, there isn't much you can get wrong though (or is there).

The history of the wheels is,

1. Bought new as Campy and run withh 11 speed for a while.
    2. Beginning of last year I changed to 10 speed SRAM so bought the M10. All was well.
    3. Just took the SRAM cassette off today (including very thin spacer thingy) and expected the 11 speed Shimano to go on, but no.

I will whip the Freehub off and measure it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I thought you needed the mavic spacer AND the Shimano spacer to run 10 speed on those freehubs?

Perhaps you do not have all the spacers removed?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I reckon there must be something silly going on here, maybe the Freehub isn't an M10, is that possible? Seems ridulous I know but I have taken the Freehub off and there is no way it's long enough to take the 11 speed.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    smidsy wrote:
    I thought you needed the mavic spacer AND the Shimano spacer to run 10 speed on those freehubs?

+1 . Mavic spacer and the shimano spacer required for a 10sp cassette on that hub.
  • dowtcha
    Bozman wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

+1 . Mavic spacer and the shimano spacer required for a 10sp cassette on that hub.

Mavic spacer is 1.75mm thick and has 3 slots on it.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... -prod25399
    and you also need the shimano .75mm spacer when running 10 speed. If you have only used one spacer have you over tightened the lock ring and damaged the start of the free hub. Check the threading at the start of the freehub for damage.
  • I've only used the 0.75mm spacer I reckon, certainly not used two and that thickness sounds about right.

The Freehub is pretty much perfect condition, it is pristine to be honest. I wonder if it could be an old version or something.

I'm trying to find out the dimensions of the M10 so I can compare my measurements because there is certainly something strange going on.

I've got the Freehub off the wheel and a 10 speed cassette fits OK even without the spacer!

It must be a different model, I just can't see how it can be an M10.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Run a campag 11 speed cassette with you shimano 11 speed drivetrain it will work fine and you have all the bits for that already.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dowtcha
    Just measured a old m10 and its 44mm long from the base to the top.
  • Gawd bless ya.

Mine measures about 42mm.

Sod it, I will order a new one.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Run a campag 11 speed cassette with you shimano 11 speed drivetrain it will work fine and you have all the bits for that already.

assume a campag cassette won't fit on a shimano hub though? (different spline patterns)
  • You can put a Campag Freehub and campag 11s cassette on and run it with Shimano 11 speed everything else. I know that's an option but I have ordered another M10 anyway.

Thanks for the comment all the same.